Re: Epic what form will it take.?

From: E. Carrington <carrington_emman_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 02:09:38 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Peter Ramos" <pramos2_at_u...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Since its been quite lately, its time to stimulate some
conversation.

> As we all know GW dropped epic some time ago. Of course, in the
same vein we
> al know that at some point they will relaese it in some form. The
questions
> are:
>
> 1. What for will it take?
>
> 2. What scale will it be (6 mm as now or 10mm, especially if
warmaster does
> well).
>
> The other side of the coin would be if they ever did it what stuff
would you
> like to see in it rules wise and models wise?
>
> Peter

When it comes to GW and the 'wargames' it produces, we're all so
cynical, that we immediateley know that any new version of Epic will
be geared towards a vast money making enterprise and will have a life
expectancy (as in promoted, advertised, etc.) of about six months.
For example, whatever happened to Blood Bowl, Necromunda, and Epic
40K? It's all dead, dead, dead. I actually wonder how long Mordheim,
Warmaster and Battlefleet Gothic will last? Mordheim is a Warhammer
version of Necromunda but with less appeal (in some regards), and
Battlefleet Gothic is little too similar to a real wargame (actually
requires some thought) to keep the kiddies (the real customers of GW
products these days)interested. As for Warmaster, don't get me
started. It reminds me of De Bellis Multitudinis (D.B.M.) in many
regards and is much, much worse.

DBM is actually a far better investment (rulebook is very cheap ($15
Australian) and infantry are about $.55(Australian (x2 cavalry). A
real wargame that tests how good your plan is, the dispostions of
your troops (in other words a real wargame)and how well your troops
fight (historically) and NOT what their equipped with. DBM is an
example of wargame, Warhammer 40K is NOT (my classification though,
you don't have to agree).

The form of any new version of Epic will be a cross (as some others
have put it) between Warmaster, WH40K, and Epic 40K. The scale will
probably be something like 8mm or 12mm, just to prevent other
companies from releasing similar miniatures or already having ready
made miniatures. In other words a money-making enterprise that will
fall apart and run out of steam in six months.

Well, with my anti-GW rant over I'll get down to the real thing and
discuss a new version of Epic that I would like to see.

When it comes to Epic, I would like to see it as something resembling
Heresy. Something a little more realistic than GW could ever possibly
desgin or produce without losing their growing monopoly. A kind of
Epic that is realistic (morale and weapon types having an effect upon
the game), reasonably easy to play (once the rules are properly
grasped), and is at least reasonably cheap (plastic,
plastic,plastic). Incidentally what about 5mm scale? Then the
miniature size could partially even match the name...

Maybe I'm becoming too much of a idealist when it comes to wargames,
yet I would like to see an Epic that is both challenging and
realistic.