RE: [NetEpic ML] How did you get into epic?

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:00:28 +0300

[snip]

I started with Rogue Trader though I never got chance to play it much. I was
in high school back then and did not have much money to buy figures. I
played with Space Marines and I still love the mk 6 beaked armor. Then came
the SM1 and I loved it. However, lack of opponents (and money) still
prevented me from playing much. When SM2 came I had enough money for the
first time and started to collect IG. I chose the IG army because I have a
soft spot for superheavy vehicles and tanks. Currently I have a company of
each of the four superheavy tanks and usually took at least one company of
those even though they rarely lived up their reputation and got shot to
pieces.

        Then I lost my only opponent :( and the sad truth is I yet have to
play my first game of NetEpic.

        The reason I play epic scale games in the first place is that I love
large battles. I love to see infantry scrambling forward like ants; I love
to see tanks roar forward; I love to see superheavy tanks crush things under
their huge tracks and shoot lesser tanks into oblivion; I love to see a
praetorian fire a broadside; I love to feel the ground shake under the tread
of a Warlord. Unfortunately, this is probably the reason why I all too often
get carried off: I don't usually have the ability to loose gracefully; that
area of my personality hasn't matured a bit during the last 15 years <sigh>.
This wouldn't be a problem if I was a superior tactician but at best I am
medicore and at worst downright poor so I tend to loose quite a few games.
Does anybody know HOW it would be possible just to smile when you loose your
favorite baneblade to one lucky shot or when ball rounds obliterate your
warlord battlegroup in the first turn?

Jyrki Saari