On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 07:48:52 -0000

A couple of opinions on the current hot points.

IG/TG: I support the unification of these. There are two main
reasons:

A) the TG didn't ever exist before TL, and the TL fluff contradicts
so much of the previous background as to be void (IMO, of course)

B) the army lists aren't that different. As a matter of fact, the
only specifically TG units are knights. Yeah, there are a bunch of
special pieces too, but really... SM and IG are very distinct. TG is
just IG plus knights. If we really want a separate TG list, we should
add at least 5 basic, general purpose units

Fluff. I would support the "fluff unification", but honestly, if you
stop to think about it, there are too many gaping holes. Imperial and
Eldar technology standing still for 10.000 years?? Su-u-re. Just look
at what we have done in the last 6000 years and then we'll talk. And
they even have working examples of advanced technology to study. And
don't get me started on the "they see it as religion" thing. Either
the IQ of every Mars citizen in the last 10.000 years has been below
0, or this simply won't work this way.

And. Why didn't the empire pummel everyone else into the dirt?? Look
at the galaxy maps, estimate the number of worlds the empire
controls, and then let me know what's the limit of their resources.
I'd say there's no practical one. So, why didn't they just assemble a
fleet of 10000 X the number of orc ships and blast them into
oblivion?
And the same goes with every other race, too. Eldar are supposed to
be a dying race, right? so they should be few. Advanced technology
won't help you when the enemy has 1.000.000 soldiers for each of your
own.

Sorry guys, the reality is that GW fluff is frozen in time. There's
no sense of an actual history. There has been the heresy, and then we
did a 10000 years time-warp, being told than a couple hundreds years
ago a bunch of psychotic aliens ate a few planets.
If we want to agree on "official netepic fluff", fine, but let's go
all the way. Let's make it CONSISTENT and BELIEVABLE.

Luca Lettieri