RE: [NetEpic ML] On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:59:26 +0300

[snippage]
> Fluff. I would support the "fluff unification", but honestly, if you
> stop to think about it, there are too many gaping holes. Imperial and
> Eldar technology standing still for 10.000 years?? Su-u-re. Just look
> at what we have done in the last 6000 years and then we'll talk. And
> they even have working examples of advanced technology to study. And
> don't get me started on the "they see it as religion" thing. Either
> the IQ of every Mars citizen in the last 10.000 years has been below
> 0, or this simply won't work this way.

sure, there are holes big enough to steer Emperor class ship through, but
that is the challenge for us: to get (at least somewhat) consistent
background. I know the idea of Imperial & Eldar tech standing still is
pretty ridiculous even considering the superstitious mumbo-jumbo, but we can
say it has advanced VERY slowly.

> And. Why didn't the empire pummel everyone else into the dirt?? Look
> at the galaxy maps, estimate the number of worlds the empire
> controls, and then let me know what's the limit of their resources.
> I'd say there's no practical one. So, why didn't they just assemble a
> fleet of 10000 X the number of orc ships and blast them into
> oblivion?
> And the same goes with every other race, too. Eldar are supposed to
> be a dying race, right? so they should be few. Advanced technology
> won't help you when the enemy has 1.000.000 soldiers for each of your
> own.

For a couple of reasons:
1) The Imperium is at war along all of its borders. They pretty much consume
everything they can build. They ARE expanding, but slowly.

2) Astronomican has a limited range, and beyond that the warp travel becomes
difficult and cosiderably slower.

> Sorry guys, the reality is that GW fluff is frozen in time. There's
> no sense of an actual history. There has been the heresy, and then we
> did a 10000 years time-warp, being told than a couple hundreds years
> ago a bunch of psychotic aliens ate a few planets.
> If we want to agree on "official netepic fluff", fine, but let's go
> all the way. Let's make it CONSISTENT and BELIEVABLE.

Absolutely.

Jyrki Saari