Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:21:06 -0500

Hi!

>> The Dark Ages of in Europe lasted for 700 - 1000 years. It
>> continued for so long because of the hording of knowledge by
>> the Church, and the constant rivalry and conflict between various
>> countries and kingdoms.
>
>First of all, "Dark Ages" is a bit of a misnomer, but I won't go into
>an in-depth analysis of that.

If you generalize it, it is incorrect, since the middle east was a hotbed of
innovation in math, medicine and the arts. In that aspect there were no Dark
ages. But the fact remains that their was suppression of knowledge mainly in
europe due to the concerns of faith.

>Second, human knowledge was advancing anyway. Third, I can see a
>particular faction gaining a sort of "knowledge monopoly", but then
>the faction WOULD advance and advance fast, since it's the main
>reason for said faction's (presumed) social supremacy. Fourth (and I
>repeat): when you're at war, whoever is in charge WANTS better
>weapons, so it will encourage military research, no matter which
>ideology/ religion/ whatever is currently supporting.

You are making the assumption that the Imperium works like modern
governments do and thats not accurate. One faction does control it all, but
it also has a burning desire to keep things as they are because of "purity"
and not wanting to succumb like humanity did in the age of strife. Remember
that they view anything does not come from the Emperor as impure and
heretical. Look how much acess to eldar tech they must have had through
battles, yet they do not use it. As a matter of fact in the original AT
rulebook there is small story about a titan legion grand master that was
summarily deposed when he stated that the weapon he really wanted was a
eldar pulse laser. You underestimate the impact of what this kind of
attitutude is capable of. The imperium not only squashes new knowledge from
without, but also from within. Conformity, not ingenouity is the key for the
Imperium.

>GW fluff is very good, but only if you keep it "frozen in time". Any
>attempt at building an history is bound to fail. It is just NOT
>possible to keep the same situation for 10000 years. 100 years maybe,
>and it would be a stretch already....

Anything is plausible given the right circumstances, never underestimate
mans ability to belittle himself!

Man I love mental gymnastics!

Peter