Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: hellreich <hellreich_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 17:45:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
To: <netepic_at_egroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

> Hi!
>

> >> While 10000 years IS a long time given the social climate of the
> >> Imperium I would not be too surprised that nothing new gets done.
> >
> >Sorry Peter, but I couldn't disagree more.
>
> Great! Nothing like stimulating dialogue when you got nothing to do!
> >
> >First of all, it's a well-known fact that technology is following an
> >hyperbole curve - very slow in the beginning, ludicrously fast right
> >now. This is due to the "self-supporting" phenomenon - the advances
> >in technology allow for the construction of advanced tools which in
> >turn help research to advance even more etc. It would take some
> >massive world-wide catastrophe to clean the slate. Considering the
> >fact that the Imperium starts from an even more advanced state and an
> >even more distributed approach, I just cannot see how this could
> >happen. While the Heresy arguably WAS a major catastrophe, they STILL
> >had trans-light speed at the end. And ten thousand years with such a
> >start is more than enough to recover.
>
> I dont see how it can be well known that it is a hyperbole curve it we
> cannot predict the future and know if socially and economically we CAN
> progress. There have been brilliant mind throughout history, but ifthe
> general climate is one of suppression and superstition then ignoring
> geniuses and technological breakthrough is quite common. Copernicus laid
> down much of the theories that later Galileo would use, but thers 2
> centuries in between and still it was suppressed until the Age of reason
> (18th century) thats about 400 years. Also we assume that a higher
> technological base guarnatees quicker research-False! Look at the present
> situtation. I dont think anyone doubts that we have the technology now to
> explore our solar system with manned missions, heck there are working
ideas
> and engineering sketches of nuclear powered space craft much quicker than
> those used today. But why haven't we done so? There is no economical or
> pressure to do so. Invention doesn't just happen, there must be a driving
> force behind it.

> > Yes NASA is also working on a Ram jet powered Shuttle to travel to Mars,
with a manned crew. This has been in the works seens they found proof of
life. By the way the Ram Jet engine is from the late 40's-early 50's, and we
are just learning it full potental now in 2000 this almost a 100 years, and
probally will be 100 years by the time they have it right.

> >Second, it's not even true that progress was THAT slow in ancient
> >times. Not MILITARY progress at any rate. And historically, wartime
> >is the time in which military research gets huge boosts for obvious
> >reasons. I could imagine the Empire not devoting that much effort to
> >the welfare of its citizens, but... but... 10000 years of perpetual
> >war, and not only they didn't advance, but they couldn't even figure
> >out how to rebuild something which they already have in thousands of
> >perfectly working copies (e.g: Termie suits)??? Come on, this is
> >TOTALLY ludicrous.
>
> War has been and is a powerful incentive no doubt there, but you miss one
> crucial aspect of development. The will and organization to do so. The
> Imperium has neither. The fluff states that technology is viewed in
> superstitious manner. Also the fluff states that information is NOT shared
> that is the cornerstone of Imperial policy with just about everything. You
> cannot sustain any worthwhile research effort without coordination and
> sharing of information between branches. Case in point WWII and the
germans.
> Each project group was not only independent of each other but competed
> against each other for resouces. End result-redudant research and time
goals
> were not met and they failed. Imagine adding religious persecution and
> suppression of all knowledge out side one organization (adeptus
mechanicus)
> how easy would it be to develop something new? Not very easy. Also
remember
> the level of technological discovery you expect the Imperium to develop
with
> what they already have. Its easy to invent a automobile for example, then
> use that technology to power other similar inventions that derive from it
> because the breach is small. But look at Imperial technology, FTL travel,
> what can beat that? There might be something, but the chasm between the
two
> is great.

> >Your point would be better if you put like so, when US first got into
WWII some of there troops were armed just as they were in WWI. as the war
went on we improved our equipment. The point is all stayed the same till a
new war broke out.