Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: On Imperial armies and original fluff

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 09:08:51 +1000

At 03:52 PM 5/26/00 +0000, Luca wrote:

>Hehe, things begin to get interesting...

>Maybe, but rediscovery of something you already have shouldn't be all
>that difficult, and yet, it doesn' t happen. Come on, now, how
>difficult can it be to copy something you have (and you're able to
>mantain due to efficient maintenance equipment)? Besides, I'm not
>advocating massive advancements. But NOTHING AT ALL? Not even some
>longer-range weapons? Better flyers? Faster spaceships?

I beg to differ here. The Imperium HAS made quite a number of
rediscoveries. Not all of them will have been on the mitary front, but
there have been a number or rediscoveries from the old Standard Template
Construct (STC) databases that the AM have uncovered. They have improved
Plasma and Melta Weaponry over what was in use during the Heresy; most
Plasma and Melta tech was of a much larger scale during the Heresy with the
smaller weapons being either experimental weapons or weapons left over from
before the Age of Strife. Into the newer Fluff we have the Razorback and
Thunderhawk, neither of which were in use during the Horus Heresy and so
have been developed within the last 10000 years. Also, much of the AM's
work has really been at trying to rediscover what was lost during the Age
of Strife. There are PLENTY of Fluff references, both new and old, of
entire Crusades being mounted to recover STC Databases. The AM seems to be
more concerned with regaining what was lost than trying to develop anything
new.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."