Re: [NetEpic ML] Just For discussion: IG Vs tyranid

From: (wrong string) � Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Tue Jul 18 22:40:02 2000

>Hi Albert!
>
>I like your tactics. The last game I played, was a 3000 IG vs. Chaos
>battle.

Hi and Thanxs! :)

>My Imperial Guard army:
>
>1200 pts. 2 Tactical Companies
> 550 pts. 1 Rocket Company
> 600 pts. 1 Artillery Company
> 250 pts. 1 Deathstrike Battery (House Rule, used as Special Card)
> 100 pts. 1 Inquisitor
> 200 pts. 2 Astropaths
> 100 pts. 1 Ratling Sniper Platoon
> 0 pts. 4 Commissars
>

>My Battle Plan:
>
>1) The Tacticals would form a human barrier between the enemy and the
>Guns. The Inquisitor would maintain morale.
>
>2) The Tactical platoons would spot for the guns. The Astropaths would
>eliminate the scatter.
>
>3) The Deathstrikes would take out the heavies, or large formations of
>troops.
>
>4) The Guns would do 90% of the killing.
>
>5) The Ratlings (and Commissars if necessary,) would threaten to grab
>unguarded objectives.
>
>6) Commissars would be kept in reserve, untill needed.
>

>Results:
>
>I won the battle. He grabed most of the objectives, but I ran him out
>of troops. I never won initiative once, but it didn't matter. My
>opponent made the BIG mistake of rushing everything up as quickly as
>possible.
>
>This made his forces easy to isolate as targets:
>
>1) Kill the artillery and siege engines.
>2) Kill the Fast units.
>3) Kill the next units to get close, and so on.
>4) Fire at the Greater Daemons as a last choice.
>
>I was not lucky with the Deathstrikes. I targeted two Warp missiles on
>his Plague Tower. Both hit, but failed to stop it. The third missile
>was Barrage, but pretty much completely missed a Beastman Warband.
>
>I lost about 2 Platoons of Tacticals from each Company, 2 Snipers, and a
>Commissar. The Commissar and Rhino pinned a Troll unit, buying time for
>the Tacticals to shoot. He died very heroicly. No doubt, the surviving
>Tactical Company will revere his name.
>
>One question came up. A detachment can only spot one target each turn.
>How many Spotting Detachments can the Astropath help during the turn?
>
>Another question. When do you award points for Deathstrikes? It seems
>rather silly to only get points when killing the empty launchers.
>Perhaps some points should be awarded to the enemy when the missiles are
>launched.
>

>Warprat ;)

Well, it's not a bad battleplan. I see a excessive lack of mobility in favor
of static defense against Chaos. I think you were lucky because if your
opponent had seen your lack of mobility perhaps he could have applied
another tactic different from an assault (and you might have experienced
some problems). I would have changed one tactical company for a Rough Rider
or 2 bikes and possibly go for easiest objectives. In a 3k match objectives
DO matter a lot. They are 88% of your Winning points. Anyway, that's only a
little diference from one "general" to another and perhaps it wouldn't have
changed anything, it's just a matter of personal favoured tactics.

What I am trying to say is that armies in NetEpic are more flexible than
most of the people think. Of course you cannot expect IG making fast mass
assaults like SM but that doesn't mean you cannot try some kind of outflank
or envelope tactic.
I think that the key to victory is to surprise your enemy. Against a bad
player you can apply GW tactics, but against a good player you can't. They
are far too predictable. My main army is SM (my own chapter) and most of the
matches I payed were against orks. There were times when I fielded 20% more
infantry than orks only with Marines! I've never lost against orks. The
second foe I've faced most, and the one which has defeated me the most, are
Squats. I found their war machines absolutely unbalancing until... I found
the weak point. NO TITANS. NO TANKS. Just infantry. Lots of infantry. Oh,
yes, and Rhinos and gunships and some Land Raiders with Terminators to
secure objectives. And the same against Chaos (another difficult one for
me).

I think that when this text will arrive to you, your questions will have
been already answered, but anyway:

Deathstrike are fine to break high numbers of enemy troops or to destroy
difficult war machines, and it's true, killing the firing trucks once the
missiles are gone is stupid. But I think VP should be scored once two
missiles have exploded, either by hitting it's target or because they have
fallen due to enemy fire. Not before. And I don't think they are SO cheap.
They MAY have a devastating effect but as I said, I wouldn't buy more than
one Det. for every 5k.