Re: [NetEpic ML] Off Topic

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:19:21 -0600 (MDT)

> Hi
>
> This sure brings back a lot of memories.... Fortress America was my initial
> ticket into the world of boardgames. However, I see that none of you has
> mentioned the King of Games....... DIPLOMACY. I must say that throughout my
> years as a gamer I've never encountered a better game!
>
> Nils

To bring this topic back on topic (at least by a bit).
There is a fellow called Dave Lewis who uses Diplomacy rules for
a FR! campaign.

I always thought it'd make a great basis for an epic campaign.

It has no dice, so would have no real need for an umpire (so everyone
can play), and it contains alot of strategic depth (and diplomacy, of
course).

For example:

Basic movement rules are the same as Diplomacy.

Each army/navy is 3000 pts of epic troops. Each supporting army adds
1000 pts of troops (of that type, under a seperate command, if
applicable). The victory points you need to win are
determined by the number of points your opponent fields (ie if
he fields 5000 pts you need 40 pts IIRC).

If the defender loses, he would be pushed back (and possibly weakened
(to 2000pts)). If the attacker loses, he would not advance (and
possibly weakened if he lost by too much (possibly weakening supporting
units as well)).

Could probably have somesorta campaign level determination (maybe
just use Diplomacy's built-in one), if people couldn't make games
in order to keep it all moving.

You could have the Space Orks sweeping out of Turkey along with the Chaos
Hordes rampaging from Russia, into the helpless Imperial Guard
garrison's of Germany and Austria. Meanwhile Eldar forces
warp into Italy and England while Space Marines land and fortify
France.

Terrain would be chosen based somewhat on where you're fighting
(the steppe's of russia, the outskirts of paris ... etc).

Of course, change the names to suit whatever planet your fighting on.

Something to mull over,
DarylL