Re: Drop Pod Questions

From: <100kheretics_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:42:11 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, 100kheretics_at_z... wrote:
> I would submit that there should be 3 support cards available for
> this kind of a company; Decoys and additional deathwind/support
pods
> (decoys could be additional assault pods that aren't carrying any
> troops). I guessed that since the cost of the drop pod special card
> is 300 points, and that the 10 assault pods simply replace the
> company's rhinos, that the 300 points reflected the cost of the
> support/deathwind pods. Therefore I thought that the decoy card
could
> represent 6 decoys and cost 100 points (the same cost as 6 rhinos)
> and the deathwind/support cards would each cost 150 points for 3
pods.

> Any thoughts?

Just a point of explanation about my idea...

For the decoys I thought that 6 pods for 100 points would make more
sense than having to use 2 support cards of 3 pods at 50 points. I
don't really think that 3 additional decoys would make much of a
difference, but 6 would provide a decent ammount of "cover" for the
attacking
force.

Another question that jumped into my head... about the support pods,
why a plasma cannon? I wouldn't think they'd need the 75cm range that
goes along with that weapon... personally I'd think something like
the battle cannon on the Thunderhawk (ie 50cm range but a 4+ instead
of a 5+ to hit), or the multi-melta from the land speeder (25cm range
but a 3+ to hit), or even storm bolters (35 cm w/ 2 dice hitting on a
4+, but only -1 save mod) would be more useful.

What do you guys think... is the 75cm range really that useful? Input
from anyone who's used the drop pods would be especially helpful.