Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Drop Pod Questions

From: warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:04:17 -0700

Hi Everyone, and welcome back Peter!

I have had Drop Pods used against me often, by the Dread Wolves
(Modified Space Wolves). My Pal has TWO full Great Companies ready to
drop at a moments notice. I have also used them against the Dread
Wolves, when I field my Ultra Marines. It's fun to have BOTH side use
them. Makes for a very unusual game.

They are an AWSOME weapon, but can be dealt with:

1) Deploy in depth.
2) Keep a mobile reserve.
3) Keep some units on First Fire. Use units with negative saving mods.
4) Remember that Pods can be fired at, before landing, by any unit
within range. LOS is not needed. Use the units that won't have good
LOS to fire at the pods before they land. Hold the fire of First Fire
units that will have LOS. Then, blast the Marines before they can fire.
5) Some Pods won't open immediately. Make the Marine Player pay, by
destroying those vulnerable pods. By Close Combat, if possible.
6) Marines deploying from Pods, except command units, are on Advance.
Take advantage of thier weakness, while you can.

The greatest use for Pods, is simply to use them as a threat. As long
as they haven't dropped, the enemy must always plan for them. This
limits Space Marine opponents, making them less mobile.

As far as suggestions go, I have a couple:

1) Make the Pods defend at -3 CAF when empty.
2) Allow Pods to land in woods with no penalty. Rough terrain should
have a 50% chance of survival.
3) Resolve pod drop before movement, but after the orders phase.
4) Reduce or eliminate the extra Break Point bonus given by the
Deathwind and Assault Pods. Why should an empty, useless Pod, still
give a bonus? But give the bonus to the Support Pods, these guys are
still a threat.

Note: This is similar to the Deathstrike/Pulsa Rocket problem of
scoring points on empty launchers.

We have used these as House Rules, and they seem to work well for us.

As far as the Decoys and the Support Pods go.....

I really don't have a problem with Decoys, as long as they're priced
accordingly. But, don't up the Break Point, Pleeeeeeze!

I've found the Support Pod to be a dangerous little bugger. Ignore the
range and -2 saving mod at your own peril. Other types would be OK. As
long as they don't exceed the value/usefullness of the original version.

What does everyone else think?

Warprat ;)