Re: Brief history summary

From: Luca Lettieri <magnus_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:48:03 -0000

> Do you include the Great Scouring to the Heresy or is it included
in
the
> next section?

No, this is only a post-heresy timeline. We actually know very little
about pre-Heresy time, so the "official" GW timeline is good enough
as it is, I guess.

> Personally, I think the Emperor should still be able to communicate
somehow;
> he is, after all, the most powerful telepath in the history. In RT
it was
> mentioned that new recruits for Adeptur Astra Telepathica were
brought
> before the Emperor for the "Soul Binding". Also, I think that in
one
of the
> novels Inquisitor Krypman visited the Emperor and actually
communicated with
> him. However, the bureaucracy can still be ineffective as the size
of a
> bureaucracy required to run an empire spaning half a galaxy is
great
indeed.

The instances of direct communication (even by psy) by the Emperor
became quickly exceptional, as its link with material reality is
fading with the passing of time. It is also hinted its very psyche is
becoming fragmented and is running the risk of dissipation; thus the
two secret projects, the Star Child and the shutting of the Golden
Throne.
Basically, the Emperor exists in a sort of limbo, as he is still
linked with the material world, but to all intent and purposes he
resides in the warp. It is postulated such a middle state may be
harmful to him, so the two projects were created as a natural
evolution of the two obvious ideas to resolve the situation(i.e.
relink him fully with the material world or let him free in the warp).

And on your remark about his power: as a matter of fact, the Emperor
is just about the most powerful being in existence (he surpasses the
four major Chaos Gods' combined might), and probably the only one
able to survive in such a state for so long.

> The worlds of the Imperium are, in effect, autonomous. They are only
> required to pay tithes to the Adeptus Terra and enforce Imperial
> Laws.

In my view, after a few centuries of utter imperial inefficience and
stagnation , they would be effectively seceded and developing new
technology and cultures.

> > secluded themselves from the Imperium. A new colonization wave
> > expands the borders of human-controlled space. Many of the
colonists
> > meet Eldar colonies on the "new" planets. Initial contacts result
> > in several destructive wars, followed by peace treaties; the
cultural
> > interchange marks the birth of a new technology when Eldar and
Human
> > scientists exchange their knowledges; the Exodite worlds are born
> > [now THIS is a good reason to have a separate TG list...]
>
> AhHa! Another TG sympatizer uncovered! Seriously, I would make a
knight
> armylist based on the 1st edition fluff, but it is not the subject
of this
> thread. ;)

I'm not a TG sympatizer as things currently are; too little
difference from IG. BUT, if we postulate (as it seems logical) an
Eldar-Human cultural and technological interchange going on in the
Exodite worlds, then TG would suddendly make a lot of sense. But it
wouldn't be TG anymore; in effect, it would be a new mixed
Eldar-Human army type. We already have the basis with the Eldar and
Human knights; we could expand from there.

> I don't think Imperium lacks central defense. It's just that the
reaction
> times are slow in an empire of that size.

It's extremely inefficient in resource management and allocation;
otherwise, let be serious about this, with the amount of human and
material resources at its disposal, it should have wiped the galaxy
clean a long time ago.

> > Meanwhile, a small group of Senseis concoct a bold plan: to stop
> > forever the Golden Throne, thus letting their father finally
reach
> > Godhood.....
>
> ...and to utterly destroy the Empire; no Astronomicon means
good-bye
for
> fast space travel. I think even the Senseis understand this.

Not if the Emperor becomes a God, no. As a matter of fact, the idea
is to let him free to ascend and smite those pesky Chaos gods once
and for all. Then he can provide all the psychic beacons he wants :-)

Luca Lettieri