RE: [NetEpic ML] Slann moral

From: peter ramos <ramospeter_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:05:28 EDT

Hi!

>Hi,
>
>Well, we haven't put it to the test yet. I've read through the rules a
>couple of times and it seems much more balanced, as I hope they are for
>Runes sake. He's a really entusiastic player and enjoys the game
>tremendously, but due to the cheesyness of the Slann army he has
>experienced
>some reluctance from the rest of us to face him on the tabletop.

hehe, point taken, I think with the serious scaling back of the real trouble
units (necrons and some of the mech saves) it should balance out.

>There is still some concerns though, the moral test imunity was one (If it
>doesen't protect against terror attacks and that type of special abilities,
>what's the benefit of this ability then?)

Its very valuable against chaos and tyranids, but poorly worded, as in the
prrevious post, they just dont suffer the penalties of fear and terror when
demons charge them of go on fallback orders when these armies break their
units. This does not extend to saving throws that use morale as a target
number. Note that epic has no "willpower" stat, thus morale must serve this
purpose. Just because i'm not afraid of a certain unit doesn't mean I am not
affected by its mental attacks.

, secondly look at the Nemesis MBT
>support card, 9 attacks at 3+, -3, +1 to template damage rolls. regen
>ability, electrohull, 2+ save... .all for 300 points.... HMMMM thats a real
>bargain IMO!!!

Will recheck but the tank should only get 2 shots not three meaning 6 shots
per unit of 3. The cost for this is appropriate when compared to other units
with similar firepower. Also all armies get a good bargain, this will be the
one for the slann. Remember the necron and mech saves where markedly
stripped down, they are no better than marines with a repair ability and
they still dont have integrated transports (bought separately). Also no more
fixed saves for necron vehicles. The repair is a potent ability but no worse
than bloodletter since now their save is a standard modifiable save. i
believe most problems stemed from combining fixed saves AND a repair save.

>What we'll do is to play a couple of games and then make some comments on
>what we think would improve the Slann army (if necessary).
>
>As I see it, the problem with this army list has been that we initially
>gave
>the units far to good stats, and as always it is very difficult to take
>back
>something that is already given. So I still have a feeling that some of the
>stats might be to good, like the Nemesis example above. There is one ting
>compensate by rising the prices, but then we stand in fear of making the
>units so expencive that the Slann will have really big problems securing
>enough VPs. So I guess we have to work both angels and meet somvere
>inbetween, hopefully the latest set of rules has done just that! But as I
>said, we'll have to test the army against several diffrent oponents to se
>wheter or not we have achieved nirvana :)

I suspect the problem to be greatly rduced or eliminated now, costs only
went down an average of 50 per support card (100-150 for companies), but hte
power went down even more than the price drop. Only commanders have fixed
saves and real good units like the vanguard or bullfrog mecks are now,
special or support cards only. Only the average stuff is available in
company strength.

>Or we could let Jyrki work his magic on the Slann armylist!!!!! I'm really
>impressed with what he has done with the battlesisters!!!

Hey, that would be great for me, I can use all the help I can get. Whatever
suggestions he'd like to make, I'm all ears.

>I'm also looking forward to seeing the Dark Eldar list, since I wasn't able
>to get a hold of them earlier I've been working on my own Dark Eldar list,
>and I might have some input to the Dark Eldar rules once they are
>complete/posted.

Currently working on this one. The lists look okay, nothing too outlandish,
this army is easier to balance since you can derive things from the regular
eldar list. The slann are more difficult since they have no comparable
force. Hopefully I can be done with the dark eldar by the weekend.