Re: [NetEpic ML] Net epic 4.0 updates in vault

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:50:25 -0400

Hi!

> Hi Peter!
>
> The new Core Rules look GREAT! There was very little I could question.
> High praise, indeed!

Well, remember and you and everybody else help too, I just do the editing
and even them with much help.

> Some comments and ideas:
>

> 1) Fog of War. Our playing group reveals order counters, as the units
> are moved (First Fire units just stay in place). When a unit fires, or
> has resolved Close Combat, we remove the counter from the table. If a
> unit can fire in First Fire and Advance, we place an Advance counter
> after First Fire, and remove the Advance counter when the unit completes
> its Advance Fire. We use First Fire Counters for the Command units.

I think this is pretty standard accross most gaming groups, i have done this
for quite a while and in my visit to Darius and Ed's gaming place they used
it too.

> 2) Vehicles with Bolters. Why can they only shoot charging infantry?
> Bolters can normally target any unit?

This is solely an anti-infantry ploy, vehicles are too well armored to be
vulnerable to this scattered fire.

> 3) Line of Sight. How do Light Artillery fit in? Do infantry stands
> block LOS to Shock Attack Guns? How about Bikes, and Dreadnoughts, and
> so forth? Maybe this could be worded to: Any non skimmer Infantry/Crewed
> Stand blocks line of sight to each other?

The core rules state that infantry never blocks LOS except perhaps to other
infantry. So vehicels and eveything of bigger size can shoot through
infantry with no problem. A good rule is that a like sized unit or better
yet of a same pinning class blocks LOS to another units of its same class of
smaller.

> But what about Walkers and Cavalry? Does cavalry block LOS to vehicles?
> Can cavalry shoot over infantry? Are Walkers cansidered vehicles?

The walkers and cavalry are usually infantry class so they do NOT block line
of sight to vehicles and bigger models.

> 4) Healers. Does the 5 units per turn limit mean 5 rolls, or 5 units
> saved?

5 individual models or stands.

> 5) Indirect barrages. If an artillery unit on First Fire chooses to
> fire in the Advance phase, why can't it fire indirectly? After all, it's
> using more game time to line up the shot. Does this mean that the
> Basilisk cannot use indirect fire on the second shot? Is the problem
> the rate of fire, or the lack of time for people to communicate?
> The communication argrument does not make sense, if you consider the
> Basilisk. The rate of fire argrument doesn't make sense either, since
> plenty of other units can switch to the Advance phase with the only
> penalty being (a big one), they might not survive.

More of a game balance issue than logic, I have tried screwing with this
with dire results makes it too cheesy to wait until after the combat round
is winding done to rake up kills upon the survivors.

> 6) Pinning. Which walkers are not classed as infantry? Why are walkers
> classed as infantry?

I think all walkers that are dreadnought sized are classed as infantry
because they are pretty much the same relative size (despites GW bad scale
problem) and share the same battlefield role.

> What about skimmers pinning skimmers? I had thought that when the issue
> was discussed, it was agreed Skimmers of a higher class, could pin
> skimmers of the same or lower class.

As it stands in the new rules skimmers may always leave combat IF they move
second but if they decide to remain in close combat they are pinned, to
avoid the cheesy picking off combatants in first fire because they aren't
pinned.

> Also, I didn't see the rule about not moving within 1cm of the enemy,
> without having Close Combat orders. Did I miss it?

Hmm... I'll check should be still there.

> 7) Breaking Morale. Broken detachments must rout if they fail thier
> moral check? Don't they have to go on Fallback first?

Was added in the most recent update.

> 8) Razor Wire/Fences. Just an idea, but shouldn't Sentinels and War
> Walkers be able to step over these?

Nah, this stuff is supposed to be really high, only titans can pass it
unimpeded, even knights will have difficulty.

Peter