Re: [NetEpic ML] Net epic 4.0 updates in vault

From: warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 00:35:25 -0700

Hi Peter!

Comments on your comments, and some further questions.

Thanks a lot for responding. Have I told you how much I appeciate your
taking the time to help me out here?

Thanks!!!!

Warprat ;)

Peter Ramos wrote:

> > 2) Vehicles with Bolters. Why can they only shoot charging infantry?
> > Bolters can normally target any unit?
>
> This is solely an anti-infantry ploy, vehicles are too well armored to be
> vulnerable to this scattered fire.

OK, I don't agree with this, but I understand where your comming from.

> > 3) Line of Sight. How do Light Artillery fit in? Do infantry stands
> > block LOS to Shock Attack Guns? How about Bikes, and Dreadnoughts, and
> > so forth? Maybe this could be worded to: Any non skimmer Infantry/Crewed
> > Stand blocks line of sight to each other?
>
> The core rules state that infantry never blocks LOS except perhaps to other
> infantry. So vehicels and eveything of bigger size can shoot through
> infantry with no problem. A good rule is that a like sized unit or better
> yet of a same pinning class blocks LOS to another units of its same class of
> smaller.
> >
> > But what about Walkers and Cavalry? Does cavalry block LOS to vehicles?
> > Can cavalry shoot over infantry? Are Walkers cansidered vehicles?
>
> The walkers and cavalry are usually infantry class so they do NOT block line
> of sight to vehicles and bigger models.

Sure, I guess it's partly a matter of the GW Models. If the troops were
really to scale, you'd have to use a magnifying glass to see them.

> > 5) Indirect barrages. If an artillery unit on First Fire chooses to
> > fire in the Advance phase, why can't it fire indirectly? After all, it's
> > using more game time to line up the shot. Does this mean that the
> > Basilisk cannot use indirect fire on the second shot? Is the problem
> > the rate of fire, or the lack of time for people to communicate?
> > The communication argrument does not make sense, if you consider the
> > Basilisk. The rate of fire argrument doesn't make sense either, since
> > plenty of other units can switch to the Advance phase with the only
> > penalty being (a big one), they might not survive.
>
> More of a game balance issue than logic, I have tried screwing with this
> with dire results makes it too cheesy to wait until after the combat round
> is winding done to rake up kills upon the survivors.

REALLY!??? Is the Basilisk able to indirect fire twice?

> > 6) Pinning.
> >
> > What about skimmers pinning skimmers? I had thought that when the issue
> > was discussed, it was agreed Skimmers of a higher class, could pin
> > skimmers of the same or lower class.
>
> As it stands in the new rules skimmers may always leave combat IF they move
> second but if they decide to remain in close combat they are pinned, to
> avoid the cheesy picking off combatants in first fire because they aren't
> pinned.

I never bought off on that cheezy "arn't pinned" rule. To me, when
units are in Close Combat, any shot would hit both.

What I'm talking about is, a Tempest pinning a Land Speeder, or a Land
Speeder pinning a Falcon. Possible, not possible, why?

> > Also, I didn't see the rule about not moving within 1cm of the enemy,
> > without having Close Combat orders. Did I miss it?
>
> Hmm... I'll check should be still there.

With the new pinning rules, this is even more important. Infantry lines
will have NO vehicle stopping power without it.

> > 7) Breaking Morale. Broken detachments must rout if they fail thier
> > moral check? Don't they have to go on Fallback first?
>
> Was added in the most recent update.

So they must Fallback first, BEFORE rout, right?

> > 8) Razor Wire/Fences. Just an idea, but shouldn't Sentinels and War
> > Walkers be able to step over these?
>
> Nah, this stuff is supposed to be really high, only titans can pass it
> unimpeded, even knights will have difficulty.

Hmmmm. How do Knights, Dreadnoghts, and Walkers compare in scale. I
know how the models look. But, Epic scale hasn't got a very good track
record for these sort of things. Could you give me some aprox. heights
to compare to each other?

How high is a Titan:
             Knight:
             Walker: