Re: [NetEpic ML] Epic WW2

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:38:26 -0400

I agree with Evind (?) who said that some historical accuracy needs to be
sacrificed for game playability. It is possible to go too far in the
details. If any one is interested, go here for WW2 canons and their
abilities (URL attached). One of the first things that should be set up
is what level of operations are we trying to recreate here? Brigade?
Battalion? Divisional? Corps? Any and all are possible, but some of the
definitions, and even capabilities would be very different, depending on
what level or scale is being discussed. Furthermore, using a d10 is more
useful to represent some of the subtleties between units. The range on a
d6 is bit too limited to be good for this. As for Army lists, I suggest
the following: US, Commonwealth, German, Italian, German Allies,
Japanese, China, Russian, French (including Low Countries), and Minors.
What goes into these depends on the level of operations being represented
again, as full divisional TO&Es aren't necessary for Brigade or Battalion
level gaming. My suggestion is to go for Battalion level operations,
making each infantry stand roughly 1 squad (10-15 men), and each tank
representing 3 or so individual tanks. Similar to Spearhead's rules (or
older versions of Command Decision). Divisional could be done by making
each stand equal to a platoon, and each tank equal to 6 tanks. Brigade
would get smaller, each stand being as shown (5 men), and tanks on a 1
for 1 basis. Corps would be more tricky, as each stand would be a
company, and each tank would be 15 individual tanks, but the stats lines
would get muddled (IMO), but could be made to work fairly well. Just a
few odds and ends...

Josh R

Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell