Re: Slann defeated! (By a one time only mistake...)

From: Eivind Borgeteien <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:28:01 -0000

Hi!
It is good to see some action on this list again, it has been very
quiet lately.

Great idea Warprat! It would be nice if more groups tried out the
slann. Now it seems like there only are two groups playing slann, and
I think there are some distinct differences in playingstyles in
theese two groups. The more games played, the better evaluation.

In the forthcomming battles with slann our focus will be this:

The CAF of necrons:
With the nullify field the necron inf. has an effective CAF of
respectevly +9, +5, +7. Maybe we reduce it by 2

Disruptor missiles:
Now each stand beneath the template must make a roll to see if it can
move. If you for example have 3 or 4 bikes under a template at least
one is bound to miss. Then the whole detachment is impaired because
of the coherency rule. A more fair game would be just one roll for
all of the units beneath the template.

"Shootiness:"
True slann infantry and the mechs are very good shooters. Maybe
their ability should be somewhat reduced.

Eivind

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, warprat <warprat_at_j...> wrote:
> Hi Hellreich,
>
> Good comments and advice! And, after reading the good comments
> everyone else has posted, I feel the Slann might be worth a trial
game
> or two.
>
> Since this army might still need a very small amount of tweeking, I
> think it would be good to post wins and loses every once in a
while. The
> early battles should be discarded from the totals, however.
>
> It might also help if ALL the members of the various playing groups
> tried playing the Slann also. This would help to ballance the
results.
> Hey, it's just an idea... but it just might be fun to walk in the
other
> guys shoes for a game or two.
>

> Warprat ;)
>

> hellreich wrote:

Frankly, we're
> > > waiting for other groups to play test them, before we spend our
money
> > > and time.
> > >
> > > 1) What is the number of wins and loses, and ties playing the
Slann?
> > > We would like to see somewhat equal numbers of wins and loses.
> > >
> > Well I have a 6 win outof 10 games with Slann, this ofcourse
being from the
> > very start of the Slann version 1.0, as I tested and made changes
to Slann
> > list posting the changes in versions for others to test also
Thank You for
> > your help and input RUNE. Though I tend to play a more Slann
Exodus and Ture
> > Slann army I've also time to time cheesed it out. Not hard to do
as you
> > write the rules you know the units by hart. But since the last
version I
> > have got a 4 out of 10 win record some really dumb moves on my
part. Like
> > forgetting about the wind host not moving yet and putting my
Mechs in charge
> > range of them OOOpppsss, bye bye company.
> > >
> > > 2) I noticed in your post that some armies did not have as much
success
> > > with the Slann, as did other armies. Do you think this is
player
> > > caused, or a weakness in the Slann rules? If there is a
weakness in the
> > > rules, maybe it IS time to revise?
> > >
> > Most of the time it was player mistake, the other times it was my
loaded
> > dice for craps, HE HE HE :-). The thing to remember when playing
the Slann
> > is they have fire power to match or out gun you but suck at Close
Combat.
> > Keep your army on the move, since my group has learned this I've
had to come
> > up with new ways to fight and surprise them The later is the key
to most
> > victories.
> > >
> > > But hey, my group dosn't have ANY experience playing this army,
so I'd
> > > like to hear from anyone who has an opinion.
> > >
> > > Comments anyone?
> > >
> > Well, if you like to try the Slann just use your SM models, This
is what I
> > did till I got the right models. In fact I still use Sm infantry
as my
> > Exodus Slann this way I have two armies SM and Slann. Use Knights
as Mechs,
> > leman russ tanks as Necron tanks just make sure you tell your
opponet which
> > is which like robots as Necron foot troops. This way you can try
them out
> > and if your group likes them then you can get what models you
need in time.

> > > Warprat ;)

Marine/IG and
> > Squats.