Re: [Net Epic ML] Battle report Squat vs. Necron 3000 points

From: Eivind Borgeteien <eivind.borgeteien_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 20:04:24 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Peter Ramos" <primarch_at_b...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Nice battle report and pictures and will get this on the Epicentre
at some
> point.
--->Use it as you want, but I would like to insert Nils' debriefing
before it gets on the web site

> Comments
--->Thanks! It is always usefull to learn what kind of tactics others
use.
The with bikes and CC in general during this battle was that I had to
move into CC with the necron inf with my inf as the OPs where in
buildings. I could off course have waited until turn 2, maybe I do
that next time...

The bikes couldn't reach ANY foe on their first turn, then they where
stopped by the mantis missiles. :(

Eivind

> This is what I have learned in defeating the Necron:
>
> 1. Never get in a shooting match with them you will lose. Squat are
a quite
> shooty army but nobody can go toe to toe with the Necrons this way.
When you
> do shoot go for units like tanks and knights, yes I know they
regenerate,
> but remember they don't fire back that turn, this is key. Every
turn their
> expensive units don't fire is bad for the Necron.
>
> 2. Get up close and personal-FAST!! You had the units to do it but
didn't
> use them effectively. You had to charge you bikes at the Necron
knights and
> tanks NOT the infantry. Even with fields the CAF of knights and
vehicles are
> lousy, your bikes would have slaughtered them, more importantly no
> regeneration! Another tactic good for squats was the use of moles
and
> termites, but again don't make a bee line for the Necron infantry,
go for
> tanks, knights artillery.
>
> 3. Shoot at Necron infantry THEN assault it. The squats should
barrage them
> as needed and shoot them, many will come back many will not, the
point is
> the odds are reduced AFTER doing this. Never attack Necron infantry
in the
> first turn when they are intact, its a waste of time and effort.
Shoot them