Warmonger Summary (long!)

From: Daniel Wolf <MasterDanielWolf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:50:26 +0100

Hi all!

I've done this little summary, so we can see what we have until now...

Some mentioned that the warmonger should be a long range support imperator
titan, because GW intended it to be this way in Epic 40k.

I say: Have we to do it this way? Must we do what GW wants / or intends to
do?
I say a big *NOPE*. ;-))

Let's try and make the warmonger a lighter support titan (compared to the
imperator titan).

THE TO HIT TEMPLATE and THE EMPEROR TITAN PLASMA ALLOCATION CHART:

Let's talk about this one later; let me just say that i would use nearly the
same as for the imperator titan and change the boxes for the main weapon
system (e.g. give the missile launcher six boxes and the vengeance cannon
just two boxes).

PLASMA ALLOCATION / GENERATION:

Bear in mind that the warmonger just generates d6+2 plasma. I would strongly
recommend on staying at this value! After all it should be a less powerful
titan as the imperator.
Talk about the needed plasma for weapons and systems later.

THE WEAPONS:

4 Gun Towers (Flak Batterys):

1st Suggestion:
> The weapons: the turret weapons have been replaced by AA-type
> quadruple-barreled weapons. Comparing the Epic40k Imperator and
> Warmonger, we see that the new weapons have a slightly inferior punch
> than the old AA. They should probably produce a larger amount of
> fire, though. Range stays the same (but see below).

2nd Suggestion:
> Flak Battery auto-cannons fire control powered to shot on first
fire
> range attacks to hit TSM SP
> 70cm 16 4+ -1 can not shoot at ground targets

Conclusion:
The 2nd one comes quite close to what i wanted to suggest, which would be a
Cerberus Anti-Aircraft gun.

4x Cerberus Anti-Aircraft Gun:
range attacks to hit TSM SP
100cm 2x4=10 5+ -1 AA gun only; can shoot only on flyers
/ floaters, titans,
buildings;

Vengeance Cannon (Main Weapon System 1):

1st Suggestion:
> First weapon: BIG double barreled energy weapon. The Epic40K stats
> are practically identical to an Epic40k Volcano Cannon, so I'd say
> let's translate it into the equivalent of two Volcanos, with
> overcharge possibility which increases range, to hit and save
> modifier (ouch!).
>
> Green counter: As twin Volcano cannon. No bonus.
> Red counter: Range increased to 150cm.
> Red and green counter: As red, -1 save mod increase.
> Two red counters: As above, additional +1 to damage rolls.
> If this is still too powerful, require that both barrels be energized
> separately.

2nd Suggestion:
> Vengeance Cannon needs 1 plasma to shoot
> range attacks to hit TSM SP
> 120cm 2 4+ -4 +2 damage lists 4
attacks on overcharge

Conclusion:
I first thought about making the vengeance cannon into a double barrled
quake cannon, but then i read that it should be energy weapon. So i thought
about a double barreld volcano cannon.
It seems that more people had this idea!
As all two suggestions are nearly the same, i see that we agree that the
vengeance cannon should be some kind of double barreld volcano cannon (let'S
fight over the special rules later ;-); let us first do a rough layout).

Doomstrike Launcher (Main weapon System 2):

1st Suggestion:
> The eight missiles are a problem. A BIG problem. Having a
> configurable Imperator entices the need for a "Hull cost + missiles
> cost". This leads to:
>
> A) An ungodly final cost which renders the thing unusable except in
> 8000 pts+ battles.
> B) Cheese. "I'll take 8 Vortexes, thank you very much".
> Also the rule about firing only one per turn doesn't make much sense,
> considering that many Epic games last 3-4 rounds. It helps somewhat
> countering the cheese-masters, but it also can be abused ("three
> vortexes and I'll leave five mount points empty so I pay less.. no
> sense paying for missiles I won't use").
> My proposal: let's produce 3-4 acceptable fixed configurations, rate
> of fire two missiles per turn. This will allow full use of the weapon
> in a normal game, and will save the headaches about trying to balance
> a configurable super-long-range Imperator.

2nd Suggestion:
Restrict to barrage missiles;

3rd Suggestion:
The Doomstrike luncher needs 1 plasma to shoot
range attacks to hit TSM
SP
table 2 missiles/4 blasts each 3+ under temp -2 can
shoot 3 missiles on
overcharge
can change missiles to others, Adds stated points per and losing stock
missile

Conclusion:
Mixing these suggestions together i would come up with the following:
Assume that every missile has the same points value; allow the use of a
maximum of 3 or 4 special missiles (warp, vortex, harpoon) and the rest is
fixed as barrage missiles.

Let him fire a maximum of, say, 2 or 3 missiles per turn and make the
missile launcher need really MUCH plasma if one wants to fire more missiles.

Secondary weapons:

1st Suggestion:
> Secondary weapons stay the same.

2nd Suggestion:
>Secondary weapons fire control powered to shot
>range attacks to hit TSM SP
>50cm 12 5+ -1 none

Conclusion:
Hmm seems we agree on this point again. ;-) Let me just remark that the
secondary weapons have just 8 attack dice!
Let's also give him the bolters of the imperator titan:
range attacks to hit TSM SP
15cm 16 6+ 0 none

The head weapon:

1st Suggestion:
> The head mounts two rather big cannons. I'd give the weapon a 50cm or 75cm
> range (remember, this is going to be 80 in practice...), 2 dice, hit
> on 4+, save -2, fire directly ahead.

2nd Suggestion:
> Head guns fire control powered to shot on first fire
> range attacks to hit TSM SP
> 70cm 2 3+ -2 none

Conclusion:
Naa?!? See something ? On most things we agree. ;-) I would have done the
same for the head cannons. Let's say it has the profile of suggestion 2. OK?

The **'':''##: don'T know what to do Sensorium and the flyer:

1st Suggestion:
> The big turret laser has been replaced by a special sensor system
> which increases range of all weapons (except secondary ones) by 30cm.
> While this is directly translated into NetEpic terms, it also means
> that facing the monstrosity is going to put anyone in a world of
> hurt, since the thing outranges practically everything. Also,
> increased-range AA shots mean "forget about flyers".
>
> The Warmonger carries a small recon flyer (sort of the Colossus). In
> Epic40k rules, this allows it to fire indirect artillery as direct
> ONCE PER BATTLE. I don't think this makes any sense, and I'd convert
> it to "as long as the thing flies". I'd also give the vehicle a small
> token weapon (standard bolter, 15cm, 1 dice, hit on 6): this doesn't
> alter the balance in any meaningful way but properly reflects the
> fact that you don't fly unarmed recon vehicles in heavy combat
> situations.

2nd Suggestion:
> Same as above, EXCEPT: Change it to "missile guidance center" and
> reduce the amount of missiles fired per turn if it is destroyed.

3rd Suggestion:
> Sensorium adds 30cm to the range of all non seondary weapons when powered
and
> undamaged
>
> Spotter plane gives line of sight of table for Doomstrike
> move save CAF weapons range
A.D. to hit TSM
> 35cm 5+ +1 bolters 15cm
2 5+ 0

Conclusion:
Hmm this one is really difficult: Let's combine all suggestions and say it
increases the range of all weapons by 30cm, make it EASILY (!!) destroyable
(very worse armor save) and say that one can only fire 1 missile per turn it
it's destroyed.
For the plane i like the stats of the 3rd suggestions.

So far you saw my wild blabla to the warmonger. Hopefully we can come up
with something cool.

Bye
Dan Wolf