Spectre Class Titans

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:32:41 -0700 (MST)

A few days ago, I was in the local Wizard of the Coast store which just
opened in the new mall across the way from where I work. Looking
at the paintjobs in their little display space I spotted
what appeared to be, at first glance, an epic scale Eldar titan.

A closer examination prooved I was wrong, it was a GW Eldar Wraithlord
for 40K. But I couldn't get how Epic'ish is looked out of my mind.
So I wondered if it'd make a good base for a Phantom conversion.
After hunting down some more pictures on the web, I came to the conclusion
it'd probably make a pretty good titan even without conversion.

I suspect others have come to the same conclusion ... but just in case,
I figured I'd hack together some optional rules for it.

Thus was born the Eldar Spectre Class Close-Combat Titan.

Spectre Class Titan
-------------------

Eldar constructs do not age the same as their Imperial counterparts.
From a human perspective, they seem not to succumb to the
ravages of time. As such, many ancient Eldar machines date back as
far as, or even prior to, the fall. A few of these machines are
warmachines. The Spectre class close-combat titan is one such device.

Weapons:
Double Power Fists in arms (in chasis cost).
Any arm mountable weapon allowed on Phantom titans on shoulder mount.

Double Power Fists
All Spectre class titans are armed with two Power Fists. This makes
them particularly dangerous to other titans and buildings.

If the player wishes to make a grab attack, the attack is made the
same as a regular Power Fist, but 2 dice are rolled versus the opponents
one. These dice are treated as seperate Power Fist attacks.

If both are successful, you do do maximum
damage to two locations on the opposing titan (and can rip of an
arm and throw it across the battlefield, prior to tearing off the
head of the opposing titan).

Should the player wish to attack a building, the Spectre class titan
is allowed two attacks versus the structure (with a save modifier of -4).

Each Power Fist has a shuriken cannons found on normal Eldar Power Fists,
giving a total of 8 dice worth of firepower.

Range: 50cm
Attack Dice: 8
To Hit Roll: 4+
Target's Save Mod: -1

Should one of these Power Fists become destroyed, treat the remaining one as
a standard Eldar Power Fist.

Base Cost (inlcuding Double Powerfists): 325
Model: GW 40k Wraithlord.

Move: 25 cm
CAF: +14
Shields: Holo-field
Weapons Locations: 1 Shoulder mount
Notes: Eldar titans are very agile and can make as many turns as they like
when they move.
Holo-field Saving throws
Orders Saving Throw
First Fire 4+
Advance 3+
Charge 2+

Spectre Hit Location Templates
W=Wing
H=Head
S=Should Weapon
A=Arm Weapon
R=Reactor
L=Leg

Front:
--------------------------
| | |W | | |
| | |3+ | | |
--------------------------
| | |H |S | |
| | |1+ |3+ | |
--------------------------
| |A |R |A | |
| |2+ |1+ |2+ | |
--------------------------
|A |L | |L | A |
|2+ |2+ | |2+ |2+ |
--------------------------
| |L | |L | |
| |1+ | |1+ | |
--------------------------
| |L | |L | |
| |1+ | |1+ | |
--------------------------

Side:
--------------------------
| W |W | | | |
| 3+ |3+ | | | |
--------------------------
| |W |H |S | |
| |3+ |1+ |3+ | |
--------------------------
| |A |A | | |
| |2+ |2+ | | |
--------------------------
| |L | | | |
| |2+ | | | |
--------------------------
| |L | | | |
| |1+ | | | |
--------------------------
| |L | | | |
| |1+ | | | |
--------------------------

Rear:
--------------------------
| | |W | | |
| | |3+ | | |
--------------------------
| |S |H | | |
| |3+ |2+ | | |
--------------------------
| |A |R |A | |
| |2+ |3+ |2+ | |
--------------------------
|A |L | |L | A |
|2+ |2+ | |2+ |2+ |
--------------------------
| |L | |L | |
| |1+ | |1+ | |
--------------------------
| |L | |L | |
| |1+ | |1+ | |
--------------------------

Head:
1-2 CAF halved and it may only move or fire if you first
    roll a 4+ on 1d6 until damage repaired
3 CAF halved for rest of game
4 Same as 1-2, except cannot be repaired.
5-6 Titan crashes to the ground as a result of the explosions.
    Decide randomly which way the Titan falls and place it on its side
    lying in that direction. Any vehicles or troop stands that are fallen
    on are destroyed.

Reactor:
1-2 May not move or fire, or repair other damage until repaired.
3-4 Reactor off-line, if not repaired at end of tur, explodes as below.
5-6 Reactor explodes in a meltdown! The titan is removed from
    the game. Any Vehicles or troop stands within 3D6 cm are automatically
    hit, and must make an unmodified save to avoid destruction.

Arm/Shoulder:
1-2 A weapon is damaged and cannot be used until repaired.
3-4 A weapon is destroyed and cannot be used in this battle.
5 A weapon is blown off the Titan and scatters 2d6cm in a random direction.
  Any models it hit must make an unmodified save to avoid destruction.
6 Weapon is blown off the Titan as above, but there is a flashback to
  the Titan's hull. Roll a D6. On a 1-2 roll for damage on the Wing, 3-4 on
  the Reactor, 5-6 on the Head.

Leg:
1-2 Damaged, speed drops by half, cannot enter difficult terrain.
3-4 Damaged heavily, Roll a D6 in each end phase, -2 if the Titan has
    Charge Orders, -1 if Advance orders. If the result is 0 or less, the
    leg snaps and the titan crashes to the ground destroyed. Decide randomly
    which way the titan falls and place it on its side lying in that direction.
    Any vehicles or troop stands that are fallen on are destroyed.
5 Titan crippled. It may not move or turn for the rest of the game, and it's
  max Holo-field save is reduced to 4+.
6 The leg is blown apart and the Titan collapses. Decide randomly
  which way the titan falls and place it on its side lying in that direction.
  Any vehicles or troop stands that are fallen on are destroyed.

Wing:
1-3 Wing damaged. Titan's Holo-fields will not work until repaired.
4-5 Wing destroyed. Titan's Holo-fields stop working for the rest of
    the game.
6 Wing destroyed, roll for flashback damage on Head (1-4) or
  Reactor (5-6).

* A 3+ on a D6 repairs a damaged location.

Just a thought,
Daryl
dlonnon_at_...