Re: [NetEpic ML] The way the wind blows

From: Ian McDowall <mcdowall_ian_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:33:48 -0000

>From: "peter ramos" <ramospeter_at_...>
>To: netepic_at_egroups.com
>Subject: [NetEpic ML] The way the wind blows
>Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:59:39 -0500
>
>Hi!
>
>Kelvin's comment about the local people not wanting to play a non-supported
>game and a similar thread on one of the newsgroups got me thinking about
>gamer attitudes.
>
>The main question is: "are we as gamers becoming more like collectors than
>wargamers?"

massive snip...
I couldn't agree more. I began as a historical wargamer in the 70's and it
was a real hobby industry. The people who wrote the rules didn't produce
the minis and I got used to writing and adapting rulesets. I still have a
bias that I like customised rules and I always try to customise mini's.

A game which has loads of new modules pumped out is not necessarily
supported -it's just a marketing technique. I still have rule sets which
are well over a decade old and which give as good a game as ever. There has
been real progress in rules and in minis and wargamers are now much better
provided for than ever before but don't judge the whole industry by GW's
standards.

Peter's point about spending more time raising the armies than playing is a
sore point. I realised years ago that i was doing this. I still enjoy
planning and raising armies and writing rulesets probably more than I do the
actual gaming. I have several games where I have raised the armies and
never actually played the game.

As I mostly solo game (for lack of opponents apart from my brother when he
visits and my son aged 9 coming on 20) I don't have a problem varying rules
but, when I played regularly I played with groups who were also prepared to
amend rulesets. As long as you do it in advance of the game it works fine -
oh and avoid cheesy players.

Ian McDowall
mailto:mcdowall_ian_at_...
http://www.roundhead.demon.co.uk