alternate figures and deja vu...Ian Mcdowall.

From: chubbybob <bob_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:45:59 +0100

hi Ian
         I read your post below and as I did so I found it difficult not to
smile.. I guess that just changing your name on the bottom and putting my
own would describe my wargaming history perfecly.. I started historical
gaming in the late 60's and have followed the exact route you describe.. My
shelves are full of unplayed rule sets and my cupboards spilling over with
unpainted goodies that have never seen a wargames table.. I convert just
about every figure before painting and my armies are almost unique in their
appearance ..(Not collectors standard you understand but they satisfy
me..heheh) Even after all these years I can still feel the pulse racing and
the old grey matter churning when I get a glimpse of new figures. and what
figures. How I envy todays gamers when I look at the range and beauty of
figures available nowadays.. The diversity is stunning.. That diversity is
very important to me as I too am now a solo gamer.. If you can't have a
real life opponent then the table can at least look stunning, so yes under
these circumstances you do tend to become a collector and game in styles
very different to mainstream gamers..
                Living in an area where gaming is a rarity you get the
opportunity to observe from a distance so to speak.. I find the way in
which gaming has split into wargamers and GW'ers very sad.. as a wargamer I
think GW have given a lot to gaming and in particular to figure standards..
Like them or loathe them their figures, price apart, are stunning and the
standard of painting they have inspired in a whole generation of gamers is
self evident to one such as I who visited conventions in the 70's and is
left gobsmacked by the beautiful modelling and terrain I see now.. To
ignore their products out of principle as do many gamers, is to lose a
source of fuigures and ideas.. Conversely many gamers go through their whole
existence thinking that the sun rises in the region of GW's rear orifice and
believe that unless it wears a GW logo then its pure crap.. It's all a
great shame because if you "pick n mix" you can end up with great games and
great figure collections..
      Finally another post bemoaned the lack of figures for Epic... Well if
your not a GW purist then other figures and damn fine ones at that are
available.. My own favourite for human "Empire" figures are the Ground zero
Games dirtside range. They have about 8 different packs and I have assembled
some very smart units from these figures as, I suppose you would label them,
"imperial guard" .GZG also have an alien pack.. Other suppliers producing
"Nice" figures are Scotia and Adler.. All are adaptable if you are not "an
adherent of chapter approved.. I have been helped by finding many years ago
a box of some 300 squats at a bring and buy all of which were equipped with
heavy bolters or rocket launchers.. With These I separate the weapons from
the figure and stick them to my substitute ranges to give them a 40k feel
but it's not really necassary.. if anyone would like to see some scans of
painted examples I would be happy to oblige . just send me your E address
and I will mail you the pics..
     Anyway enough rambling for now..

         Bob deAngelis