Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: New file uploaded to netepic

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:55:57 -0500

Hi!

Having played all the armies against every other army, and having seen
most cheese tactics out there, if you play a well balanced force of any
army there are no worries.

Having used t-hawks with chaos extensively, I know quite a few
devastating tricks, but remember the following:

1. only the chaos marine can use it, its generally not a good idea to
let loose your precious chaos marines, cut off from support. They have a
low break point and the loss of but one detachment can be bad
2. the t-hawk as a machine cannot benefit from chaos cards. That is, it
is vulnerable to AA fire like any other unit. A minimal investment on
the opponents part will make the chaos player think twice about using
them. One shot and you lose a lot.
3. they are easy to defend against with some foresight. They disembark
on charge or advance orders, therefore some units on first fire can wipe
them out before their powers can manifest.

In my games with experienced players I seldom even use the t-hawk. The
risk to benefit ratio is too low to consider it.

On the issue of special cards and powers. Again its not the card you get
but how you use it. Most inexperienced chaos players choke on their
cards saving them for some end game ploy that never comes, or using them
to save greater demons that haven't accomplished much. Some combination
of cards are very useful. but it is the luck of the draw if you get them
or a situation to use them effectively.

I dont think any power is grossly unfair on its own, you can use them
well or waste them. It is player dependant not card dependant. To prove
the point just play chaos without the cards and see how easy it is to
win. The cards are there for a reason. They balance the armies out. What
about the forces that dont have them? are they weak? Hardly. Each army
has its counter to the cards. The imperial forces variety is its own
strength. They have access to powerful weapons no one else does, same
goes to the squats and eldar. Does anyone doubt the power of thunderers,
aspect warriors, jetbikes and imperial artillery? No. The armies with
cards dont have these is that fair? No. Every army has its mechanic to
level the playing field.

At its core epic is pretty balanced, you can exploit the rules of
course, but this generally works against the player who also has built a
army on exploiting the rules. If you build an army that can face any
threat, you'll realize they are pretty "vanilla". Nothing flashy or
obviously cheese, but these armies are VERY effective. In my experience
a well played vanilla army will consistently beat a cheesemonger army.
Take it from me, I've seen more cheese you can shake a stick at and
besides maybe one surprise win (if they are lucky), they always get beat
the second time around real bad by Mr. vanilla army.

Peter