RE: [NetEpic ML] Return of the Slann first test: (long)

From: Karlsen Rune <rune.karlsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:05:38 +0100

> Hi!
>
> I was eagerly waiting your posts!
>
> Lets see what you found:
>
> The battle is as good a test as any, so I would not view it
> as not being a
> good test. One must see how they function in as many
> scenarios as possible.
>
> Tunneler attacks against the slann are very efftive when used
> properly. I
> beleive had you timed their attack after he had moved his
> knights, you would
> have wiped them out. It takes some planning on the slann
> players part to
> avert this, he must have nearby infantry support to off set
> any close combat
> rush.

Yes, i was also worried about these attacks. I cant really
see any defense against them. I could surround my mechs
with infantry, but then there's be less forces other
places, and he'd simply choose not to use them against
the mechs. How do i prepare for such attacks?!?

> >As a test battle this scenario was probably not the best.
> I've never used
> >this combination agans the Slann before, in retrospec it
> would perhaps have
> >been better to take the Tech Guard, which I've used on a
> couple of earlyer
> >occations. However, it did give us some ideas. Firstly Slann
> is vunerable
> >enemies taking the battle to their side of the board. They
> also have a
> >range
> >problem, which means the cant stay on FF in the first turn
> this is good
> >IMO.
>
> I beleive it would be dangerous to combine long range and warp jump
> capability, since they could calmly stay "out of reach" while
> laying down
> constant fire, this would be too much.
>
> >Some Things to consider:
> >* The Great Mage should be classified as a greater Deamon, when
> >testing against Astropath and other powers.
>
> Hmmm, I can see Hellreichs objection on this, but this unit
> is "unique" one
> per army, so perhaps this is appropriate.
>
> >* The Necrons, should NOT have 75% breakpoint.
>
> Agreed. This one is not a surprise.
>
> >* The Gravguards is supposed to be support units, they
> have 4 attacks
> >on 50 cm, we could consider giving them 2 attacks on 75cm instead?
>
> It depends what kind of support they lend, are they more a
> tank busting unit
> or infantry support? If we give them longer range they will be useful
> against tanks, not so usefull against infantry. We could do
> the following:
> give the gravguard the stats suggested, but give the spawn guard the
> gravguards old weapons, one tank buster unit one
> anti-infantry. opinions?

This is a good suggestion. The old Gravguards would be renamed
to Spawnguards, and the new gravguards get the long range HW
tank busters.

> >* 600 points for the Necron Stalkers is to expencive. It should be
> >between 450 and 550.
>
> Did you remember the auto-repair? thats a pretty large boon
> and why it is so
> highly priced. If you are telling me in spite of this they
> were weak, then
> we need o explore it more.

This is really no biggie, its just that we didnt feel they
were worth the points. They made no real impact on the game,
and were taken out easily (granted, by volcano cannons).
Ill await your testing..

Rune