RE: [NetEpic ML] Another battle fought

From: Karlsen Rune <rune.karlsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:44:19 +0100

Hi!

Yes, the Slann were victorious once again, but this time it wasnt because of
superior units! I had all 3 OP's by the end of the 3rd round, and had broken
most of the SM forces. Mind you, SM were only 2 models away from gaining
another 11 VP's from me. Since i had gotten 27VP's from breaking his forces,
and he had 14 from mine, only 2 more models would have gotten him to 25,
which is pretty much even. We both did a few tactical blunders, but all in
all
i think it was Eivinds lousy CC rolls which lost the day for him. We have
changed
the stats somewhat on the Necron titan, to comply with other Necrons (this
was in fact Nils' idea, and it works beautifully). With a conversion field
and
the standard Necron +4 roll (and a +3 repair roll, as other Slann titans)
, it seems tough on paper, but can be taken out by one lucky shot from a HW
infantry unit. It was taken out by a volcano cannon,
which, on a successful hit (and a failed save on my part), only needs
to roll a 2 to destroy the titan). Gather that with the fact that the titan
has rather poor range, and needs to be put on advance to do anything
useful, the other player can just mount a titan/praetorian with some
long range weapons (missiles etc.) and shoot it out. We also gave
the titan a powerfist in addition to the shortrange weapon, as we
thought this would make no big difference.

The droppods did some damage to my forces, but mostly the fear of what
they might attack (in the 2 round) tied up the most. I had to put all
of the forces within charge distance on FF. I pointed out to Eivind, that
what he really should do, is field 2 Thunderchickens instead, and
simply wait till i moved all my stuff. SM will always have more detachments,
so it would be rather easy to take out a mech detachment for example.
I guess i will have to start surrounding the mechs with kroxigors or
something, since we have changed the flyer rules somewhat.
We've reduced their range, and AA can only shoot on them in
the FF phase, long after they have moved. This opens up for some
cheesy ploys, and i think we might have to rethink this rule in
the future, specially when our chaos player gets his clammy
hands on some thunderchickens ;)

All in all, a very close and satisfying game! I was very happy with
the results, and hearing Eivind say that the Slann are balanced
was like hearing the first birds of spring:)

Rune