Re: [Epic] Creating new version of Epic

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:01:01 -0500

On 15 Jan 97 at 9:52, Brett Hollindale wrote:

> >>But squat SHVs get wasted pretty easily IMHO easier than titans.
> >
> >Especially against those _at_%$@#&$%*!!!! Warp and Vortex missles! Everytime
> >I play my Marine friend with my Squats he'll take along a Warlord or two
> >and give each one a Vortex missle. That gives him a two in three chance of
> >sinking one of my SHV's on the *first* turn, sometimes before it gets a
> >chance to fire.
>
> OK this looks like the second person in two days whi hasn't read TL page 24
> "Psychic Saves".
> Let me quote: "Whenever a psychic power is used on a model with functioning
> shields, on a 1-3 the psychic effect is dispersed. On a 4-6 the Psychic
> power penetrates the shields and the attack takes effect as normal". And
> from the same page "Some weapons like Warp and Vortex missiles, (and a few
> others) use warp energy... Units with a psychic saving throw can roll to
> save against theses attacks as if they were psychic attacks."
>
> What this means to me is that a bunch of Reavers shooting at that chaos
> idiots Warlords with Vortex missiles have about a 1 in 6 chance (each) of
> doing 1d6 hits on the Warlords. (Not a great chance, but OK) And someone
> popping your SHV's has the same 1 in 6 with a vortex and a hefty 2 in 6 with
> the warp missiles.

<snip>

I'm going to have to disagree here. The void shield's psychic
disruption effect is not the same as a psychic save. The rules under
psychic save on the same page even indicate this. In the case of a
psychic power that merely does damage (Weirdboy tower, for example) it
knocks down void shields like normal and, once it penetrates the
shields, the model gets its psychic save, if any. Void shields just
have the potential for interfereing with actual psychic powers, not any
display of psychic force.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf