Re: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:38:26 +1000 (EST)

>Seth Ben-Ezra wrote:
>>
>> This is just a random thought that flitted through my head, partially
>> prompted by various players in my gaming group commenting "Gee,
>> wouldn't it be nice if I had a nuke right now?" So, what do you think?
>>
>> Seth Ben-Ezra
>> Great Wolf
>
>I think the game would be over before the first fire phase was
>completed. Its like that movie Wargames were the computer says at the
>end "the only way to win is not to play"

Well, for one thing we are talking more of small tactical nukes, not the
huge ones. Some armies still talk of their uses on the small battlefield.
While having a huge barrage area of effect, they don't cover the battlefield
in DS2. And they cost a LOT, and they make your troops make morale checkes
just like your opponent. Even the average grunt dosen't really want to be
around where the fallout rains down on them.

Then there is the mind set of the Imperium/Orks/Tyranid/Chaos/ heck even
Eldar and Squats. I have no doubts that the Imperium would condone the use
of nuclear weapons. They have a record of using mass destruction weapons
before. Most of the races would be willing to use them in some instances. I
think it is more of a lost technology over the not wanting to use them.

Not that I condone the use of nuclear weapons. They have to be mankinds
biggest mistake ever. Period.
                 Colonel Abrahms, 22nd NU-Atol Regiment
                 Rekartot Redbacks Senior Coach
                   "No Spanky, No. Bad monkey"