[Epic] Nukes in Epic universe

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 00:37:11 -0500

I had an odd question that I thought that I would post to the list.
Both 40K and Epic exclude mention or use of nuclear weapons or other
mass-destruction weapons (with the exception of Exterminatus). This
makes sense on 40K's scale :) but what about Epic? If I had a large
spaceship in orbit and detected an incoming armored column, I'd want to
call in a nuclear strike. To quote Ripley, "I say we take off and nuke
the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." So, why isn't
this a part of Epic? There's the easy answer of "It would make the
game boring", but Dirtside II apparently does it. Is this merely an
oversight in the game design that would be fun to correct, or is there
a good story-related reason that nukes do not exist. Let me give an
example from a different game. In the universe of Silent Death, there
is an alien race called the Night Brood. They feed on psychic
emanations of violence and are set to swarming by high levels of
violence (e. g. a good war). Despite thousands of years of disuse, a large
nuclear device was prepared by the Emperor of Earth and fired at the
invading swarm. The level of violence set all the Brood in the entire
quadrant to swarming and soon Earth was overrun. The survivors of this
holocaust have a tacit agreement not to use nukes, lest the Brood be
awakened.

This is just a random thought that flitted through my head, partially
prompted by various players in my gaming group commenting "Gee,
wouldn't it be nice if I had a nuke right now?" So, what do you think?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf