Re: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe

From: Thomas Lee Denney <seether_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 00:32:15 -0600

I might be confussing the 1st edition of epic with that 40K book that had
the Red Fists on the hill surrounded by Orks, but I think one of those do
have rules for nukes in them.

At 12:37 AM 1/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I had an odd question that I thought that I would post to the list.
>Both 40K and Epic exclude mention or use of nuclear weapons or other
>mass-destruction weapons (with the exception of Exterminatus). This
>makes sense on 40K's scale :) but what about Epic? If I had a large
>spaceship in orbit and detected an incoming armored column, I'd want to
>call in a nuclear strike. To quote Ripley, "I say we take off and nuke
>the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." So, why isn't
>this a part of Epic? There's the easy answer of "It would make the
>game boring", but Dirtside II apparently does it. Is this merely an
>oversight in the game design that would be fun to correct, or is there
>a good story-related reason that nukes do not exist. Let me give an
>example from a different game. In the universe of Silent Death, there
>is an alien race called the Night Brood. They feed on psychic
>emanations of violence and are set to swarming by high levels of
>violence (e. g. a good war). Despite thousands of years of disuse, a large
>nuclear device was prepared by the Emperor of Earth and fired at the
>invading swarm. The level of violence set all the Brood in the entire
>quadrant to swarming and soon Earth was overrun. The survivors of this
>holocaust have a tacit agreement not to use nukes, lest the Brood be
>awakened.
>
>This is just a random thought that flitted through my head, partially
>prompted by various players in my gaming group commenting "Gee,
>wouldn't it be nice if I had a nuke right now?" So, what do you think?
>
>Seth Ben-Ezra
>Great Wolf

Ravenwing Speeder Motto: Dark Angels don't die, we just go back to the rock
and regroup!

seether_at_...
Ezekiel- Grand Master of Librarians