RE: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe

From: Andy Skinner <andy.skinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 08:28:00 EST

>> If I had a large
>>spaceship in orbit and detected an incoming armored column, I'd want to

>>call in a nuclear strike. To quote Ripley, "I say we take off and nuke

>>the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." So, why isn't
>>this a part of Epic? There's the easy answer of "It would make the
>>game boring", but Dirtside II apparently does it.
>
>How do they do it ? I mean, a nuke (even a small one) will have a blast
>radius (fireball effect, heat effect, radiation effect) of kilometres. I
>doubt that Epic battles are fought over kilometres, maybe if we have 200
000
>points :) And imagine a blast radius (super barrage template) of 100-200
cm
>(min) with -10 modifier (only the Imperator would stand a chance). And
not
>to mention the EM wave which will short out all your electrical
equipment.

Dirtside II is also played at a different scale. In Epic,
there really isn't much attention to scale, and the assumption
is, I believe, that distances, terrain, and models are the size
we see. In Dirtside II, the models are much bigger scale
than they really are (they don't block line of sight, since they
don't really take that much space). Terrain items may be
in scale with the models, but they represent terrain at
the distance scale. A building may be some city blocks,
a few trees may be a forest. Model scale is 1:300, distance
scale is 1"==100 meters. What's that, something like 1:400?

In Dirtside, a 2" radius is vaporized, 5" destroys infantry
and does heavy damage to vehicles, 9" does lesser damage.

andy
andy.skinner_at_...