Re: [Epic] Problems with the old system

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:17:44 -0500

> From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
>
> > One of the biggest problems in my mind is the collossal
> >advantage gained by winning initiative, because of the manner in
> >which the movement phase is handled. I've seen a bunch of different
> >solutions to it; right now I've been playing with treating the
> >movement phase like the first fire & advance phases - i.e. I move
> >a unit, you move a unit, etc. Although that favors whoever has the
> >most units... well it's a sticky problem.
>
> We used to move company by company (with all of the company's support units
> moving at the same time as the company) and we covered the "uneven numbers
> of comanies" issue by moving 2 for every one or some such ratio so that at
> the end of the movement phase it was one for one.
>
> Then we figured that it wasn't making that much difference after all and
> went back to I move an army - you move an army because it speeds things up.

        The current method is faster, which I assume is the
reason the designers used it. But the difference is quite
large, although I guess this depends on what armies you play.
I've talked to other gamers who pretty much believed that
winning the game depended solely on winning initiative more
than your opponent. I don't think it's that bad, but it's
still a problem, IMHO. And personally I find the game a lot
more enjoyable and tatically challenging with some sort of
staggered movement system.

Scott
shupes_at_...