Squat units (was Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 17:01:21 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 19-Jan-97 Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [w.. by Mark A
Shieh_at_...
> > Excerpts from Epic: 19-Jan-97 Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [w.. by Brett
> > Hollindale_at_powerup
> > > Overlord Airships Companies.
> > > Go to high altitude, move and FF death on anything (cause you can see it
> > > all...)
> >
> > And a very distinct 1 in 6 chance that any shot will kill you, straight
> > up, no saving throw.
>
> You have to be kidding me. All this means is that tac stands
> can actually shoot you down if you stray too close, unlike most SHVs.

Actually, that's one area you cut out my point to; unfortunately, I
killed the original. He (Brett) was pointing out the 50% save and 1+
saving throw, and totally ignored the 1-in-6 chance of dying right off.
(I will admit, I think I probably went a little overboard in my defense
of the Overlord, but the fact that he ignored part of the save
completely was... annoying.)

> This usually doesn't matter. For instance, I'm just drowning in 75cm
> 4+ -2 save mod shots (Eldar). The overlord is harder to take out than
> the other SHVs once the shields are gone.

Hrm, operative word there I guess. Dropping six void shields takes six
hits; six -2 save mod hits on an Overlord gives you (on average, of
course) one dead Overlord and a chance of a dead Overlord.

But yeah, they are harder to take out than, say, Imperial SHTs.

>I've never really seen this
> 1 in 6 chance make any difference. For each of the kills I see this
> way, I see several shots that would have killed any unit with a 1+
> save. (Luck of the dice, but I believe the two cancel out rather
> well)

Well, at least one of those was Mikey's fault for firing Magnus at my
Overlord, but that's another story. ^_-

[snip bike cost comparison]
> >(The other being the Eldar jetbikes,
> > though skimming is a mixed blessing these days.)
>
> I really wish I could mount treads or wheels on my Eldar
> bikes. Or maybe just a big lead weight so they aren't several dozen
> meters in the air and therefore can be shot at any old unit when CCing
> a Titan. Now if only my opponents weren't supplying the lead... :(

^_^

Actually, Mark, I'd probably be willing to let you not be able to be
fired on in CC... of course, the last time I did that Mikey mopped the
floor with me, but that was my attempt at a no-SHV Squat force. (It
didn't work, but then I've only got one bike company painted up.)

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...
                    Squat Leader, Den'Len Fetch