Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [was: Re: Titan Legions]

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 15:07:04 -0500 (EST)

Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...> writes:
> Well, while I agree with what Mark said, I figured I'd add my own
> analysis to the mix, especially since Mark cut a few things I wanted to
> reply to. So:

        I have a habit of cutting out the parts I'm not replying to.
Feel free to put them back if you feel they're important. I've gotten
complaints of "creative snipping" when trying to prove my points
before.

> Excerpts from Epic: 19-Jan-97 Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [w.. by Brett
> Hollindale_at_powerup
> > Overlord Airships Companies.
> > Go to high altitude, move and FF death on anything (cause you can see it
> > all...)
>
> And a very distinct 1 in 6 chance that any shot will kill you, straight
> up, no saving throw.

        You have to be kidding me. All this means is that tac stands
can actually shoot you down if you stray too close, unlike most SHVs.
This usually doesn't matter. For instance, I'm just drowning in 75cm
4+ -2 save mod shots (Eldar). The overlord is harder to take out than
the other SHVs once the shields are gone. I've never really seen this
1 in 6 chance make any difference. For each of the kills I see this
way, I see several shots that would have killed any unit with a 1+
save. (Luck of the dice, but I believe the two cancel out rather
well)

> > Guild Biker Forces.
> > The best bikes in the game (+4 CAF) and almost the cheapest. (Only IG get
> > cheaper bikes and then only just cheaper.)
>
> Looks to me like the Squats have the most expensive bikes, though
> certainly one of the two best. (The other being the Eldar jetbikes,
> though skimming is a mixed blessing these days.)

        I really wish I could mount treads or wheels on my Eldar
bikes. Or maybe just a big lead weight so they aren't several dozen
meters in the air and therefore can be shot at any old unit when CCing
a Titan. Now if only my opponents weren't supplying the lead... :(

> > Super Heavy Vehicles.
> > Move and then FF. (No one else does that!)
>
> Well, there are several IG vehicles I could name... the CapImp, which
> doesn't really count these days, the Leviathan (which Squats build, so)
> and then the Ordinatus SHVs.

        But it's still a nice and rare ability to have. Imperial
Titans tend to compensate by dumping themselves out in the open and
take weapons with more than 75cm range.

> prepare a counter for, unlike the Imperial guns. The "everything in one
> model" thing I could do without, as well.

  I agree. I'd much rather have quantity than quality these days.
Which isn't quite your point, but happens to be my particular problem.

> > Snap fire weapons.

> Not super heavy. And the only snap fire unit in the game with the "no
> ground target" restriction is the Imperial Hydra. I assume you're
> taking the Firestorm as the best snap fire weapon? (That's my take on
> it....)

  I actually prefer the Thunderfires. They are about twice as hard to
wipe out, cost the same, and don't have to shoot all at once. Sure,
they're _bolted_ to the ground (One of my favorite parts about the
background for them), but I haven't put my snap-fire units on anything
but FF since the first time I used them. They also hit more when not
shooting at Doomwings or Nightwings.

Mark