Re: [Epic] Phoenix Lords in CJ

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:34:30 -0800

>In CJ17, there were 3 Epic special characters (all Eldar) based on WH40K
>Eldar Codex. Here's a list of them.

> Mov /Sav Thr / CAF /Weapons /Rang /Dice/Hit/ Notes
>Eldrad 10cm/Fixed 4+/ +4 /Shur Pistol /25cm /2 /4+ / See Rules
>Karandas 10cm/Fixed 5+/ +8 /Scorp Bite /- /- /- / See Rules
>Jain Zar 10cm/Fixed 5+/ +18*/Silent Death/15cm /Spec/- / See Rules

>Eldrad, greatest Farseer of Ulthwe, has all the abilities of the Warlocks.
>He has psychic save of 2+, and troops around him (15cm) has a 4+ psychic
>save. Any Eldar units within 3d6 can place orders after all other orders
>have been revealed.Eldrad is able to tap into the Warp to increase his CAF.
>Roll an arti die and 2d6 for CC. Due to the arti die, his CAF can range from
>2 to 10. If Eldrad rolls misfire, Eldrad goes straight to the Warp for a
>one-to-one meeting with Slaanesh and in the process generate a Vortex
>template, blah, blah, blah...

So wait, is this a +4 +artillery dice +standard 2d6, or just +artillery dice
+standard 2d6? (with the +4 written above as an error?)

Interesting that Eldrad isn't as good a commander as the Warlocks. That 3d6
range just bites, and that's all there is to it. On average that'll get a
10.5, just half a centimeter greater than a Warlock. However, while getting
more than 10.5 won't gain an Eldar player much (since you can't count on it
to get more than about 10 so you'll try to keep at least one unit from each
detachment within 10 anyways) it can hurt him a lot if he gets less than 10
and gets some units cut out of his command structure. I'd rather rely on
the steady 10 of a Warlock any day.

Also interesting that Eldrad doesn't seem much better than a Warlock in any
other ways, really. He has a nifty 2+ psychic save and 4+ surrounding save,
which is cool, but not _that_ much of an advantage. His unreliability in
close combat means that he's something of a walking time bomb, so you won't
want to keep expensive units around him, while his own CAF can be low enough
that he won't win without help, making his vaunted CC mostly of a defensive
measure. He seems more like an Ork psyker (except for that bit about the
psy saves) than an Eldar master psyker; he can't seem to keep control of his
powers.

Unless he comes with the Falcon and doesn't cost more than about 150, I'd
say leave him and take a standard Warlock instead.

>Karandas, Shadow Hunter gains an extra d6 (total 3d6) in close combat. Any
>troops can reroll 1s on their CC die when within 10cm of Karandas. No
>mention was made about rolling just 1d6 when CCing vehicles, Titans.

Not too shabby, though I wouldn't want to pay more than about 150 for this
one either. Interesting that standard Inquisitors save better than Karandras
(though that 4+ fixed that Inquisitors have has always bothered me).

>Me thinks Jain Zar's CAF +18 is an error. In addition to that, when she
>rolls 6+, she will beat any enemy model, except those with construction
>template ! Major butt-kicker.

What do you mean 6+? Do you mean a natural six on either of the CC dice, or
does she roll a seperate die against each enemy model she fights similar to
standard howling banshees with her ability only working on a 6+? (unlike the
5+ of standard banshees?)

>She also has a Silent Death, hits on 4+, and ignores terrain modifiers. If
>it hits it will moves on to the next target.

Wow! Kick arse, she's a regular little Mortarion! Still, as with the other
models, I'd estimate she wouldn't cost more than 150. If she really does
have a
+18 then the price should be around 500, but...this seems rather unlikely.

Michael, speaker for the Lius