Re: [Epic] Re: Squat Cheese

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:40:49 -0600

At 11:23 01/21/1997 -0500, you wrote:

>Excerpts from Epic: 21-Jan-97 Re: [Epic] Re: Squat Cheese by
>duckrvr_at_... > I never realized there was any other way to play.
>Everyone I've played with
>> does this, and no one ever complained.
>
>The problem is that it doesn't make sense. If you destroy half the
>troops on one side of the board, you'd think that the other half might
>be given to thoughts of running. But if you split the tac companies
>like that, then they don't... instead the destruction of a squad on one
>side of the board might affect a squad on the other side of the map
>completely. Given the guard's problems with communications as it is,
>how would the troops on the other side even *know* what was going on?

It doesn't work for the IG. If you string out your command structure like
that using them, then you've either got stones the size of grapefruits, or
no sense of self-preservation.
If a small portion of your force gets caught in a killing zone, then I think
that the rest of the force should remain steadfast. If you clump your
companies together then that doesn't happen. One company goes charging off
the board while the others stick around. If the dets are spread out, then
your force tends to remain on the board until you have taken overall 50%
casualties.

>>The only thing that was declared
>> cheesy is a squat company keeping one unit so far out of play that the
>> company CAN'T be broken.
>
>Yeah, I've noticed that; I even point it out on my web page. Of course,
>then you've got the problem that you're not really getting what you paid
>for out of the unit, but in a large enough battle I suppose it might not
>make a difference.

Yeah, but there's always that squat artillery that needs a screen from close
assault troops. Trikes on FF are rather daunting as close assault
opponents. So they ARE being used rather effectively. They discourage
close combat, and they can still go on charge orders to function as a
reserve force later in the game. Snagging those objectives! Squat bikes
are one of the sweetest units in the game.

Temp