Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [was: Re: Titan Legions]

From: Cameron Bentsen <stu7i95_at_...>
Date: 22 Jan 1997 10:05 EST

In message "Titan Legions]", you write:

> At 14:04 01/21/1997 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think the weirdboy tower counts as a psychic attack for the psychic
> >> phase. Otherwise it is entirely too powerful. It effectively makes the
> >> weirdboy tower a command unit, which I don't think was ever intended. The
> >> tower bolts work like a relatively normal weapon in every other
> >> circumstance, so why wouldn'tthey do so here?
> >
> >Unfornately because it lists thme in the psychic phase of the rule book so
> >yes they are fired in the psychic phase. A couple of battle towers whith
> >enough stuff surrounding them can almost wipe out an entire army in the
> >first psychic phase...
>
> Then I suggest a house rule. Anyway, if you want to do it that way, I still
> wouldn't let someone on charge orders fire at all. And about the first
> psychic phase, I thought the official ruling was that weirdboys couldn't
> fire in the first turn because they haven't charged up. If they can, then
> they should have to roll for overload during the first orders phase also.

Yes, the wierdboys cannot fire in the first turn's psychic phase, as they
only power up in the end phase and do not start with any psychic points stored
up from before the game starts.

This turns out to be the limiting factor on their otherwise extremely brutal
power, for two reasons:
1) Most games only last 3 or so turns. Since the wierdboys can't fire on the
   first turn, their effective firepower when averaged over the length of
   the game is therefore only about 2/3 of their apparent firepower.
2) Many armies have fast movers that may be able to get into CC on the first
   turn and take out the battletowers - they can't shoot your troops down
   'cause they don't have the juice yet. THawks, fliers, and some of the
   fastest skimmers all fit this role. Also, you can always try to shoot them
   on turn one (though you'll probably have to get through a dragsta field)
   and thus avoid getting hit at all.

Cameron Bentsen, Ottawa