Re: [Epic] cheese

From: John A Chapman <jac_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:37:10 +1100 (EST)

> duckrvr_at_... writes:
> > At 16:30 01/22/1997 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> > >I'm glad to find someone else with the same opinion of Doomweavers.
> > >Since subscribing to the list I've been astounded at the number of
> > >refrences to Doomweavers as cheesy.
> >
> > Well, if many people consider them cheesy, then someone is not using them
> > correctly if they consider them useless.
>
> I'm one of the "mostly useless" people. Sure, they're
> beatiful in numbers where dodging a web throws you into another web,
> but then you've got so many Doomweavers that most units are cheesy in
> such quantity.
>
> When I fire them, I'm lucky to get a stand of dogfaces.
> They're too orky for my tastes. The potential for massive damage
> (Psylocked Overlord), but generally the Doomweavers just scatter and
> get ignored. It's not like it will EVER land where you place the
> template. Mandatory 2cm scatter is unpleasant on a 3cm diameter
> template. Also, there's never terrain like a bridge or anything that
> is small enough to try to block off using webbing.

        Well the best (albeit cheesy) use for them is still in conjunction
with wave serpents. Up until we found the rulings in the FAQ (ie recently) our
group played 'stunned' = 'immobile' (heck the description (fluff) says anything)
hit by the wave 'cant move'...). But now you land the web on someones (ie a
Reaver/Warlord/other High Value Unit) head , it moves out of the way. Next turn
 if you win initiative and have a wave serpent within 50 - push the titan back
into the web for some instant death. If you lose initiative the other player
 will have to move first to save it (ie usually a good thing for you - the
player with bunches of skimmers). Of course the cheese value of using a WS to
push something as large as a titan around is not negligible.....
        Also someones post before seemed to imply that warhounds got auto-diced
by the DW's web. I could have misread the post but I think this was meant to
happen because the warhound had no 1+ save. If this is the case you might
want to check the DW's rules - I think titans AND units with a 1+ are safe.....
        One last point - another way of immobilising titans - vibrocannon
(even good for halting a mega-gargant) - do they roll the scatter dice when
they hit a titan. The rules say they can only hit a square on the bottom row
so if they could scatter a- it would allow them to hit higher b - on titans
theyd scatter into empty space an awful lot (amazing how something as big
as a titan is in fact easier to miss than infantry......). However the rules
dont seem to make the VC different from the other weapons - any suggestions?
                                                        JAC