Re: [Epic] cheese

From: Perrin Haley <phaley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:49:54 -0800

>> It seems to me that most of us call cheesy anything in an opponents army
>> that is hard to destroy.
>>
>> Be it the eldar doomweaver. Which as an eldar player I find next to use
>> less. Or the squat super heavy vehicles etc... I have to agrre with
>> the person that said that every army has it's strengths and weakness .
>> So to win we have to get beyond that cry of cheese and get into
>> exploting those weaknesses.
>>
>> Later
>> John
>
>I'm glad to find someone else with the same opinion of Doomweavers.
>Since subscribing to the list I've been astounded at the number of
>refrences to Doomweavers as cheesy. As an Elder player I rarely
>field them, as the usually proove next to useless.

Hear hear! I have to agree with you on this one, as I often question why I
shelled out the cash to buy the models in the first place. The few times
I've ever had mild success was when I played an Ork opponent with some
truly "orky" tactics; really thick concentrations of troops and vehichles,
where there was no room for a unit to dodge the web; slice and dice! But
how often do you run into people who bunch up their units that much?

>On the subject of cheese in general, I think that players should look
>at the cheese from the other players point of view a bit more. In my
>experience it is just as annoying trying to play with a *potentially*
>destructive unit, as it is against it. This is because your opponant
>spends so much effort trying to counter your threat that you rarely
>get a chance to use it to its full potential.

I've only ever tried to sink a titan with these once, and my opponent was
so scared when he saw the Weavers he fired all of his *Plasma Destructor*
shots at them (that was how I intended to nail the Titan; it wouldn't be
able to move after the first turn.)

>I'd go so far as to say that there are no cheesy units in the game,
>only cheesy combinations ( such as the much maligned overlord company
>in small battles). As long as players don't try to abuse the spirit
>of the game, I have to agree that all the armies are pretty well balanced.

Agreed.

>Colin P
>9404237p_at_...

        Perrin

"...I could never become a prophet...just
a critic - which is a poor thing at best,
a sort of fourth-rate prophet suffering
from delusions of gender."

        -Jubal Harshaw, "Stranger in a Strange Land"