Re: [Epic] Harsh conditions = tough warriors

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 14:37:04 -0600

At 11:16 01/24/1997 +0800, you wrote:

>Come to think of it, I do recall reading somewhere that although the Spartan
>(of Ancient Greece fame and as a militaristic society as could be) were
>considered inferior to the "democratic" city-state of Athens. As to why it
>is so, I do not know. Anybody care to comment ?

I think you're confused. For the most part the Spartans were considered
better warriors. Athens was more culturally advanced and still had a very
respectable military. A rough comparison would be cold war USSR and USA.
In the end it was a geographic quirk of fate that Sparta fought an
incredible battel that decimated them, but which saved Athens from the
onslaught of the invaders.
        It's been years since I took world civ, though...

Temp