Re: Books (was Re: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 14:35:41 -0600

At 18:57 01/23/1997 -0800, you wrote:

>Okay, then what about that three eyed navigator deal? You certainly can't
>claim that navigators having three eyes to see obstacles in the ship's path
>is a common idea! :P

You got me here. I good test of whether an idea is an archetypal/stock idea
is the amount of explanation required. I bet you knew what a lasgun was as
soon as you heard the name. Now, obviously someone came up with the idea
first, but to figure that out you need to do an extensive literature search
to determine where it first appeared. Have fun. Herbert was obviuosly NOT
the first one to think of using lasers as weapons.

Temp