RE: [Epic] -Chaos- Tactic Critique

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:28:38 -0500

>> > If a LOB dies, his followers are vulnerable to morale checks.
>> > If the Reaver dies it just blows up.
>
> Oh, come on. That's because you've taken mortal followers in
>a Chaos army, not because it's a LoB. The only time mortal troops get
>out of this one is if they're taken under a Marine Company, IIRC.
>That's hardly the fault of the LoB.

----> That's something the LOB does and a Reaver doesn't. Also, you have
take at least 3 cards of followers for it, so it's going to apply every
time you
use the LOB. It _may_ not matter in that game but it will _never_ matter
with the reaver. (we're not assigning "fault" we're comparing goods &
bads
of two different units. It's a minor negative.)

>> > So how is the LOB better?
>>
>> I don't recall ever saying the the LoB *was* better...
>[snip]
>> I'd have to say the Reaver is better (better weapons,
>> very flexible in its battlefield role), but the LoB is more
>> fun.
>
> Nope, I heard lots of comments that the LoB was better than a
>Bloodthirster or Angron, but that's not real hard. Also, in the
>pre-TL days, the LoB was nice because it allowed you 3-5 minion cards,
>unlike the Reaver, which ate up one of those slots. Taking a LoB
>opens up a few options on how you can field an army, while the lone
>Reaver just eats up support.

-----> Reavers are Special Cards, not support cards - don;t take up one
of the 3-5 slots - they're 1 per "company" card.

>> > As someone else mentioned, maybe we'll get some
>> > legion-specific and primarch specific rules, but from the 40K
>> > chaos book, we already have the marines - berserkers, noise marines,
>> > and thousand sons. The only thing missing are plague marines,
>> > and all they got for 40K was a +1 toughness and a nasty knife.
>> > "Assault" anyone?
>>
>> I figure Plague Marines are not sufficiently
>> different than normal chaos marines to warrant a different
>> entry in the army list. 'Assault' really wouldn't work
>> for them, since they only come with 1 assault weapon (the
>> knife and no bolt pistol, whereas normal marines come with
>> a bolt pistol) and they have no option to get more.
>
> Yup, and if they got a 6+ save I'd have to hurt somebody at
>GW.
>
>Mark

----> Yow - I can see that discussion.
"well, what about 'save'?"
"No, too powerful" (I think I have invalidated my argument
with
"what about a "6" armor?" this statement - would GW ever say that?)
"Naw, just leave it vanilla"

Chris Miller