RE: [Epic] -Chaos- Tactic Critique

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:20:02 -0500

> Hey, back when I actually USED the Banelord I had
>bunches of Khorne crap-ola in my armies - daemon engines,
>bloodthirsters, lesser daemons, cannons, juggers, the LoB,
>and Baney himself.
>
> Of course, he could have sensed my opinion of him
>and the majority of his Khornate friends...

-----> HEY! You hurt the Banelord's feelings! You're a
Baaaaaaad maaaan!
(I'm picturing something like the rudolph christmas special
with the giant snow monster here)
 At this point the suicidal Banelord turns off his shields
and looks for the nearest prism cannon...

>> > Right. Which is why the Banelord isn't any help,
>> >since it can't fire indirect. Might as well use cannons
>> >of khorne - longer ranged and also can't fire indirect.
>> >Sure they scatter a lot, but they're cheaper and don't
>> >give up ridiculous VPs.
>>
>> -----> Never firing indirect means they don't scatter.
>
> Also means you can't hit things you can't see.
>Not good against pop-ups or opposing arty.

-----> Well that's what the pop-cannons are for...
Or t-hawks full of chaos marines , if really really have to...

>> ----> At least we both like the LOB and the LOC : )
>> (I don't much like anything else Tzeentch has,
>
> Horrors, Magnus, 1000 Sons, and the best color scheme
>of the 4 big chaos powers.

----> yeah, but Magnus is _always_ there. I've never used him.
Fought against him probably every time I've fought Chaos, though.
I actually do own him now - I went to the IRS auction for the store
I mention in my other post and cleaned up all their GW mini's at
both stores (with 2 friends). I was the only one without Magnus
so I got him. Just in time (December) for him to disappear...

Thousand sons certainly have the _cheesiest_ special power
of the marine legions- "how are traitor marines like a vortex missile"

Colors - well, it IS chaos - paint 'em whatever color you want...

I'll get to horrors in a minute...

>> That said, let me open this up:
>> Is a LOB as good as a reaver? Same points (for 1). Reaver
>> has more weapons & options and a better CAF. LOB gets 3
>> cards which can save if his armor is penetrated. Reaver gets
>> 4 shields which save before armor is hit, and can be regenerated
>> >on a 5-6 at the end of every turn. Movement is the same.
>> If a LOB dies, his followers are vulnerable to morale checks.
>> If the Reaver dies it just blows up.
>>
>> So how is the LOB better?
>
> I don't recall ever saying the the LoB *was* better...
>
> The 3 card thing is kinda misleading, since you have
>a pool of cards available to be used - you could end up using
>more or less than 3 on any particular GD, depending on how
>much fire they're facing.
----> True. The pool effect does make it better than shields, in
a way.
> You forgot that the LoB has a psychic save and can't
>get FF orders. Plus there's the Khorne winning bonus, which
>(if you get it) can turn the LoB into a real killing machine
>for a turn or two.
---> I'll get to the psychic save in a minute , too.

-----> well I'm glad to see you say that. I agree 100%.

----> So would that make them Lesser Greater Daemons...?

>> As someone else mentioned, maybe we'll get some
>> legion-specific and primarch specific rules, but from the 40K
>> chaos book, we already have the marines - berserkers, noise marines,
>> and thousand sons. The only thing missing are plague marines,
>> and all they got for 40K was a +1 toughness and a nasty knife.
>> "Assault" anyone?
>
> I figure Plague Marines are not sufficiently
>different than normal chaos marines to warrant a different
>entry in the army list. 'Assault' really wouldn't work
>for them, since they only come with 1 assault weapon (the
>knife and no bolt pistol, whereas normal marines come with
>a bolt pistol) and they have no option to get more.
>
>Scott
>shupes_at_...

-----> as long as they don't get the "roll a 6 and die, then check the
next stand" rule...