Re: [Epic] Revenants vs. Warhounds

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:10:28 -0400

Ken,

> There is one thing to consider here, and I don't have my rules with
me, so
> I may be wrong, but here it is:
> Units in a detachment are fired on as a detachment, and you may not
> allocate a second hit to a single unit until all units in the
detachment
> are allocated a first hit. So, the 3 hits that the Warhounds inflict
will
> be divided up, 2 on one, and 1 on the other.
> The Revenants don't suffer this constraint, as they fire Super Heavy
> Weapons, and may pick their targets freely.

I hadn't considered this, but I suppose you're right. I'm not sure
this would change the final result, though, as the same number of
holo-field saves would still have to be made and thus the same would
fail.

> Also, your math is a little flawed when it comes to the Revenants
ability
> to take damage. The 1 hit (~50% chance of occuring) stands very
little
> chance of actually killing the Revenant. Only an 11-12 is
catastrophic
> damage, no other result can do more than damage systems and do
additional
> hits.

Here we're just looking at things a bit differently. Only an 11-12 is
catastrophic, but there's around a 70% chance with each hit that gets
through that the holofields will drop and/or the revenant will be
immobilised. I should not have, but was, thinking in the context of a
battlefield. All you would need at that point is 1 Leman Russ tank to
fire and finish off the injured Revenant.

> You repeat both errors in your analysis below, skewing those results
as
> well.

Yep, see above.

> Well, you asked me to let you know if you screwed up! If I'm wrong
about
> the splitting up of regular FP, then the results will be a little
better
> for the Warhounds, but not enough to give them a fighting chance
against
> the Revenants.

Thanks, I should have explained my thoughts better and you were
absolutely right to point out the splitting up of hits. However, I
don't think it changes the analysis, as (for instance) 6 hits should
still result in a failed holo-field save and it doesn't matter which
revenant fails (once you split up the hits 3 and 3 per the rule you
pointed out). Plus, vs. FP opponents this means that you would in
effect have to strip 4 void shields rather than 2 when trying to damage
a warhound detachment.

I personally think the pricing is not way off. Warhounds have a very
good chance against Revenants - especially if they fire first. Outside
of the isolation of an analysis, you can definitely make sure your
warhounds fire first if it is a priority for you. Warhounds are also
probably more survivable vs. other armies than Revenants are - higher
armour, assault and with the detachment shooting rule an effective 4
void shields to knock down for FP directed their way before damage
accrues - just like a reaver.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius