Re: [Epic] Epic 40k Armies

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:31:40 -0400

Tyler,

I'll take you up on that question.

I play Space Marines/Imperial mainly, with a very small Eldar army on
the side.

As far as GW stuff goes, I played WHFB and Blood Bowl mainly before
picking up Epic 40k. It's probably my favorite game at the moment and
I certainly see it remaining in my often played category for a long
time. I believe the Epic 40k system is an excellent one and so far I
have had a lot of fun playing with and against all the armies.

Space Marines offer you fantastic infantry that can be air-deployed or
through drop pods to take the battle where you want it. You can win a
battle with only infantry with these guys, but their vehicles are
definitely competitive with other armies as well. The land raider is
the crowning jewel as it is almost certainly the best tank in the game.
 I've always liked to read about Space Marines, so I bought the game,
made my own chapter and started collecting. The Marines are the most
resolute of all the armies except Tyranids with every unit having a
special rule that allows them to re-roll any failed leadership tests.

The rest of the Imperial Army is enough to keep you interested if you
prefer not to field Marines. Between titans, super heavy tanks and
hordes of infantry with artillery in support, the combined Imperial
Forces can support just about any style or tactic, which gives them a
lot of long-term interest value. Also makes 'em hard to predict.

Eldar are a fascinating puzzle of sorts. Small detachments but the
ability to skim, hide behind terrain and pop-up. Weapons with a great
deal of precision combined with short ranged infantry and excellent
assault troops (Aspect Warriors) makes them an army that requires
precision in your style of play. I believe you have to be patient and
do a lot more setting up of the opponent to use the Eldar to their full
capacity. You also can't afford casualties as readily as they lose
more morale than other armies when detachments are destroyed. The
Eldar, when played to the full, can give your opponent fits (because
they can be so tough to pin down) and be every bit as precise and
surgical as the Space Marines.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius