Re: [Epic] Help me kick the habit

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:39:07 +1000 (EST)

>>>I've got the girl and we are engaged, the purchase of the ring seriously cut
>>>into my army building but I think I will wait on the house and pets till
>>>after I get out of college.
>>
>>You know, I'm thinkin' the ring I bought pretty much wiped out my army
>>building. As a matter of fact, I could build 3 or 4 VERY respectable armies
>>for what I paid. What are you, cheap or rich?
>>
>>Temp
>>
>>(just kidding)
>>

>Well I'm college student what do you think, I am poor I can't argue about
>that But the ring is more than respectable
>

> Timothy J. Kilgore

I know that this is all in good nature, but still.... I think that people
get carried away with the value of gifts etc... especially in the case of
weddings, engagements and the like. I think sometimes it just throws more
pressure into a place where there is always too much pressure to begin with.
The ring is a symbol, it's value goes far beyond it's material worth. It's
meant to symbolise the joining of two people who really care about each
other. That should be valued so much more but people seem to forget about
that when you are expected to outlay X amount of dollars to meet the right
criteria. I fell prey to the same logic and it took me over six months to
pay off the ring. That became more important for a while, but my feet are
back on solid ground.

Those ads you see really bug me. "Show her how much you care" (Buy big, real
BIG, or you never really cared)
                 Colonel Abrahms, 22nd NU-Atol Regiment
                 Rekartot Redbacks Senior Coach
                   "No Spanky, No. Bad monkey"