Re: [Epic] Net Epic Gudelines

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:50:45 -0800

>FIRST TOPIC
>1-Army construction, present system(company cards,etc.) or a individual
>model points system(each figure assigned a point value), WHAT STAYS OR
>GOES!

Everyone on the list seems to like the current army construction system,
though me might want to take a look at the Epic40k army construction system
when it comes out.

>2-Order Phase,What will each of the orders mean in terms of movement and
>firing.First Fire, Advance, Charge, Fallback

I suppose since this is an open discussion, I shall take this time to
advocate my movement/firing system (again, though its slightly different now
:P), since GW's harshly defined phase system really bothers me.

Both sides place orders as usual.

A unit on advance may move at its standard movement rate, and at any time
during its move it may choose declare that it wishes to fire, and if not
interrupted it may fire off any or all of its weaponry.

A unit on first fire orders can interrupt another unit's movement at any
time to fire; if more than one unit wants to interrupt, it starts with the
first person who says he wants to fire, and then alternates sides until all
units that want to interrupt at that particular moment can interrupt. In
addition, units on first fire may choose to interrupt a unit on advance's
declaration of intent to fire and the unit of first fire may shoot before
the unit on advance is allowed to.

Psychic effects can interrupt a first fire attack or advance attack, (on the
rationale that they normally fire in an earlier phase than first fire, so
they should be faster) and the psychic effect will happen before the first
fire shot fires. If more than one psyker wants to interrupt a first fire or
movement, then it
alternates the same way that first fire does. If the use of the psychic
effect creates a situation where the person who's attack it interrupted no
longer wants to fire or wants to fire on another target, then it is
permitted to cancel the attack and choose a new target later to keep psykers
from becoming too powerful. (ie Eldar Warlocks throwing Eldritch storms in
the path of incoming fire to waste shots from the Cyclops and stuff wouldn't
work)

Snap fire units can interrupt either psykers or first firers or advance, in
the same way that psychics interrupt first fire or advance. In order to
make snap fire weapons the anti-aircraft weapons they were originally
designed to be, snap fire weapons are the only weapons that can fire on a
flyer while it is moving, so a first fire, advance or psychic unit would
have to wait until the first fire, advance or psychic phase to be able to
attack the flyer. (so the first fire and psychic phase still exist, they
just aren't used much, since it's usually an advantage to fire earlier in
the movement phase)

Greater Daemons may not be fired upon during the movement phase.

I really haven't explained it very clearly, but with some effort it should
be understandable. I recall someone else on the list had a similar system
to this. I've found it really does make for a much more realistic game (for
those who like realism :) )

Michael the Liu