RE: [Epic] Epic Questions

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:30:34 -0500

>>Also, void shields give units a psychic save when
>>they're up. Some units have a built-in Psychic
>>save. Is there any difference in them?
>>
>>What about Shokk attack guns?
>>
>>Unit w/psychic save hit by SAG -
>>Save applicable? or not?
>
>Apparantly, a psychic save _does_ make you immune to being bitten
>by snotlings... The SAG is a warp weapon so psychic saves apply,
>though void/power field saves don't. On the up side, being bitten
>by a snotling is apparently such a horrible wound that all the
>powers of the warp can't save a daemon prince from death (can't
>use chaos cards against it).
>
>The Horrors have never been settled (what happens if a horror loses
>CC?). It's stuff like this that makes SM/TL "more fun" than e40k ;).
>
>David

----> This is one of those great "but..." 's
        Void shields give a save vs. Psychic attacks, unless they shoot
for a to-hit and save roll like any other weapon.
        SAG's bypass shields to teleport the snots inside, but are
considered a psychic attack.
        I know what the real problem is - these two rules are seperated
by about two years, and no one spent any time reviewing them.

With crap like this happening - and it's common in 40K and fantasy
as well, there's an obvious answer.
Star Fleet Battles has been mentioned a few times (usually by me) as
 an example of a game that got some important things right . Here's
another one:
        Each race in SFB has "Commander" or advocate at the
game company - it's one of the employees/designers/playtesters.
Their main function is to look over rules/ships/devices that affect
their race, especially when a new product is being developed. Is
this a reasonable concept? It's worked well for them in balancing
and resolving things BEFORE the info goes out.
        Isn't this how we play Epic (whatever version)? - you
usually have a favorite army or two, and when you see a new
unit , you might wonder how it's going to impact YOU. Even
in E40K we've had some questions, and a policy like this
could at least result in some clarifications in the rulebook
before it goes out.

Might make the game just *that much* less complicated.

Chris Miller