Re: [Epic] Epic Questions

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:53:12 -0400 (EDT)

"Miller, Chris" <CMiller_at_...> writes:
> ----> This is one of those great "but..." 's

        I'm pretty sure we hashed this one out a while back.

> Void shields give a save vs. Psychic attacks, unless they shoot
> for a to-hit and save roll like any other weapon.
> SAG's bypass shields to teleport the snots inside, but are
> considered a psychic attack.

        "Yes, but..." I don't care if it is a psychic attack, if it
says in the weapon description that it "ignores shields" it ignores
them *and* the 4+ psychic save that void shields provide, or it's not
doing a very good job of ignoring shields.

        Of course, whether a Holo Field is a shield (no, it's a holo
field, and besides, you're not firing a template, eh?), a Dispersion
Field is a shield (Them Gavinatus thingies, and no, I don't remember
the answer, but I think the fields worked on just about anything), or
even if a Knight shield is a shield is completely up in the air.
(Okay, if you were to make an armor save then it would be
unmodifiable. Too bad you don't get to make one.) However, Void
Shields are pretty clearly shields. Of course, I can't remember
whether a dragsta field works on them. The Avatar gets his 2+ save
versus anything. The Avatar's 2+ save appears to be the biggest thing
in the game, as nothing has been known to eliminate it. And then,
what if you fire it at an Imperator or Mega-Gargant? Can it appear
inside it and fight the people manning it? (nope, make up your own
rules if you're into that sort of thing) Yeesh.
        That's one thing I'm glad about in E40k. We've had less time
to come up with rules questions, and there are many fewer rules to
tear apart. Each unit in SM/TL had far too many special rules, and as
an Eldar player, it was absolutely vital to have a working
understanding of them all, or I would be stuck with fielding
Guardians and Fire Dragons and Lascannon support platforms.
Everything else worked funky.

        Of course, it's kind of vague as to whether a Psychic Lance on
an Eldar Titan ignores void shields. It only says in the *fluff* that
it ignores any form of shielding. But it's pretty emphatic fluff. :)

        And then, can you use Crystalline Body on a shot from a Prism
Cannon? I thought those things fired warp-powered lasers, but I'm not
certain.

etc.

etc.

Mark