Re: [Epic] Epic 40k Armies

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:43:41 -0400

Andy Skinner wrote:

> I like Space Marines, but I'm almost turned off because everyone
> else does too, now. (I know it is as silly to turn off from something
> because everyone else likes it as it is to like something because
> everyone else likes it.) Seems to me that before Epic 40K, the list
> was full of players of everything but Space Marines. I'm sure there
> were some, but we had tons of everyone else. I heard a couple of
> groups say they didn't have a Space Marine player. And that even
> with Space Marines being heavily represented in the main box (titled,
> appropriately, "Space Marine"). Seems like that's on everyone's list
> now. Still, I like 'em, and they're easy to paint. I'm trying to
> encourage my wife to paint the Eldar, but those infantry look tough.

        Well, the space marines (with the exception of the Space
Wolves) were fairly bland - you got infantry & land raider companies,
and that was pretty much it. No special rules or neat-o units
(aside from the aforementioned Space Puppies). Compared to everyone
else, they just looked... boring. People would take them in their
IG armies, but very few were willing to use them by themselves.

        Now, you get the best all-around infantry & tanks in the
game. AND they're the only army with a fairly complete selection of
minis on the shelves. People who never played SM/TL basically have
a choice between marines & orks, and since the orks don't really
appeal to that many people, of course they're going to go with the
marines.

Scott
shupes_at_...