Re: [Epic] Deathwing Detachment 2

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:06:29 -0400

Thomas Lee Denney wrote:

> DEATHWING DETACHMENT
> Command
> You must choose a commander
> 1 Detachment HQ (See notes) . . +25 points
> Up to 1 Master of Deathwing . . . +28 points
> Consists of 1 Terminator unit (Hero, Deathwing)
>
> Extra cost to:
> Mount in a Land Raider...+35 points
>
> Main Force
> Choose up to 10 squads from following list.
>
> Deathwing Terminator squad ...+22 points
> Consists of 1 Space Marine unit (Save, Deathwing)
>
> Extra cost to: Mount in a Land Raider ...+35 points
>
> Up to 1 Space Marine Librarian +38 points
> Consists of 1 Space Marine unit (Psyker, Hero, Deathwing)
>
> Extra cost to: Mount in a Land Raider ...+35 points

        The Librarian should be up in the Command section, yes?

> Support
> Make up to 5 choices from the following list, but you may not exceed the
> number of choices made on the main force list.
>
> Space Marine Dreadnought . . . +27 points

        Land Raiders? I would also include Vindicators,
Predators, maybe Razorbakcs. No bikes or speeders, though.

> Deathwing: As described in Codex: Angels of Death Members are immune to
> the effects of psychology. Members of the Deathwing are know for their
> unwillingness to back down in the face of horror. To represent this the
> Deathwing special ability allows detachment members to auto-pass ALL
> leadership tests, and ignore the effects of Blast markers.

        Uh... ignore blast markers? That's a little TOO
much. If they're auto-passing Ld tests, they don't need
to worry about BMs when it comes to moving anyway.

        And again, "immune to psychology" in 40k translates
into "stubborn" in Epic 40k, as shown by the stats for
Thousand Sons & Noise Marines in E40k. A space marine being
immune to psychology is NOT a big thing, it's a minor
improvement over the usual "shaken" rules, and I don't
think that it's significant enough to rate a change in their
Epic stats.

> You may include as many Deathwing detachments in your army as you wish.
> However, you should note that the Deathwing is just a single company and
> can muster a maximum of 40 units,

        That's still too much. Single marine company is
100 men. 5 men on a stand = 20 stands/units per company.
But I don't even see why you came up with this in the 1st
place - who's going to field 20, much less 40 or 50 termie
stands???

Scott
shupes_at_...